The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   Where do you ride/compete? (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/where-do-you-ride-compete-138863/)

JaneyWaney9 09-26-2012 04:33 PM

Where do you ride/compete?

Eventing is, like, the highlight of the Olympics to me.

I live in Michigan, and you can find jumping and dressage shows around here (not easily, but you still can), but I have never heard anything of cross-country courses or events around here.

Obviously the Olympic riders find places.
Out of curiosity, where do you find a lot of eventing stables and competitions in the United States?

equiniphile 09-26-2012 06:28 PM

In northeast Ohio, we're blessed to have a lot of eventing stables. I can think of 6 off the top of my head that have eventing trainers in my area, and three of those have beautiful cross country courses. My Pony Club grounds has several hundred acres' worth off open land with a full cross country course and three sand arenas.

Northernstar 09-26-2012 07:08 PM

I can highly suggest someone who could definately help you!! - the owner of the stable where my first horse was boarded (for a few months while we were building our barn) Talamar Morgan Farm is the name, and it is an upscale teaching/riding facility - she was also a world champion! PM me, and I'll give you her name & number!

Hedgie 09-26-2012 07:29 PM

We have tons of cross country and plenty of horse trials (events) around here in VA! Plenty of recognized and unrecognized and tons of different courses to go schooling at. And I'm fortunate enough to have a cross country course being built at the barn I ride at.

Strange 09-27-2012 02:08 AM

Currently I'm out in Colorado and not riding, but there isn't much in the way of eventing out here, aside from the CO horse park and some smaller venues here and there. There aren't any shows that go above preliminary (aside from the COHP's two shows a year + */**) and most are a bit of a drive. But like I said, I'm not riding right now so it doesn't make a difference to me. xD

The past two years I was in Maryland and then Kentucky, which both have a plethora of places to event.

princecharming 09-29-2012 09:40 PM

Lots of eventing in MD! or...i think theres lots!

kindraeventing 10-03-2012 08:06 AM

I live in North/Central Kansas. There are two events in Kansas City (2.5/3 Hrs Drive) and past that we have to go to OK. All of the events within driving distance only go up to Prelim, which is not an issue for me but for an upper lever rider I'd think that's pretty slim pickings. There's really not a lot in the way of events around here, which makes it all the worse if you have a dumb fall in XC because you have to wait 6 months until the next event.

Ashsunnyeventer 10-10-2012 08:58 PM

TONS of eventing in Maryland. Anywhere on the east coast really- Aiken, SC and Florida are popular places where eventers go in the winter. I'm lucky enough to go down to Aiken for a few shows this winter! :) Around here, everyone events- I didn't even really get a choice of dicipline- eventing is the easiest to find. Good thing I love it :) My dad's new job is in St.Louis MO, so next year, I'm going to have to look for eventing over there :(

xeventer17 10-12-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashsunnyeventer (Post 1714365)
TONS of eventing in Maryland. Anywhere on the east coast really- Aiken, SC and Florida are popular places where eventers go in the winter. I'm lucky enough to go down to Aiken for a few shows this winter! :) Around here, everyone events- I didn't even really get a choice of dicipline- eventing is the easiest to find. Good thing I love it :) My dad's new job is in St.Louis MO, so next year, I'm going to have to look for eventing over there :(

This. From Southeastern Pa and down the east coast is what I've commonly heard called the "mecca" of the eventing world. I was blessed to have been born in Southeastern PA and have never had trouble finding eventing barns around. I'm currently a working student for three star rider, Molly Rosin, and will be travelling down to Aiken this winter as well. Good luck finding something in your area!