The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Nosebands and bits?! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/nosebands-bits-138879/)

Lexiie 09-26-2012 08:27 PM

Nosebands and bits?!

I feel so dumb, and this is such a "wide" question.. but
What bits are for what? and what nosebands are for what?

I have 3 snaffles and a french link. I kinda just do everything (english)
I've stayed with these bits cause I know that they're pretty simple.

Are there specific bits that people use for jumping/dressage/flat work/etc?

I know that full cheeks are for helping the horse learn the pressure on its face.

My bridle has a flash that I can take off if I want (which i did, no idea how tight it should be, didn't want to hurt my pony)
Flashes are for a horse that chews on their bit? I believe?

Oh, and figure 8 nose bands, why are they so popular with jumping??
I know a noseband can apply pressure? I think.

It's so sad that I've been riding for almost 12 years and know nothing about bridles >.>

Sorry for my questions being all over the place and at random.

Lexiie 09-26-2012 10:57 PM

nothing?

Wheatermay 09-27-2012 01:36 AM

I figure there are more people on here that have better info... I bought a new hask and it ook me three tries to get it attach to the bridle right, lol... I felt like a goof! The only one I can answer there is that a noseband will apply pressure. The rest of it, Idk, lol...

JustDressageIt 09-27-2012 01:39 AM

http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack...pe-bits-36522/
Posted via Mobile Device

JustDressageIt 09-27-2012 01:41 AM

Nosebands should be adjusted loosely, no matter what type. They should never "hold the mouth shut." I use different nosebands for aesthetics only, as I like the look of a figure eight or flash, but never adjust them tight at all.
Posted via Mobile Device

SaddleOnline 09-27-2012 03:47 PM

With out going into toooooo much depth....

Generally Full cheek snaffles are used for hunter/jumper/flat work, they aren't really a classic "Dressage" type bit, although it is legal to compete at the lower levels with them.

A loose ring snaffle (french link also) is good general "Dressage type" bit.

Many people use flashes/figure 8's when doing dressage/jumpers, as it can keep the horse from opening his mouth wide enough to get his tongue over the bit, and can encourage a horse with a busy mouth to keep it shut. It keeps the horse from moving the bit to an ineffective position in its mouth and bracing against it. You never want to have it so tight that it is forcing his mouth shut or obstructing breathing, you should be able to fit two fingers between your horse and the flash/noseband.

Figure 8 nosebands have become sort of a fashion statement in jumper-land, which is fine, as long as they are adjusted properly, they aren't hurting anything, and some horses like that it isn't interferring with the corners of the mouth. They can be helpful with really strong horses over fences, or a horse that likes to take the bit and run, but no noseband, flash or figure 8, should apply constant pressure.

Hope this clears things up at least a little bit!

Lexiie 09-28-2012 11:59 AM

Yeah, Thanks!! haha