The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Are my stirrups where I need them? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/my-stirrups-where-i-need-them-138901/)

Wheatermay 09-27-2012 01:34 AM

Are my stirrups where I need them?

5 Attachment(s)
I apologize for the pictures. I had my brother take them and he is terrified of horses, so he had no idea what he was doing. I have been riding this way for awhile. And I feel pretty comfortable, but it seems when I loose my stirrup alot. My leg is shorter on one side due to a hip misalignment though, and it's always my right leg (the shorter one) so I think that is what causes me to loose my stirrup. I bought stirrup turners that dropped the stirrups down, just a smidge, and it's not uncomfortable, but I dont like it... I posted pictures with and without the turners. What do you think?

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 09-27-2012 01:55 AM

without being on a horse it's going to be very hard to get an accurate reading on stirrup length as the girth of the horse/ bend of the tree on the saddle stand might distort what the pictures show. however in some of your pictures (the last three) they look a tad too long.

Poseidon 09-27-2012 02:03 AM

Honestly, in my experience with this (which was literally the last few days), just change them repeatedly until they feel right and you stop losing a stirrup. I was doing the same thing because I had my stirrups longer, which is where I liked them when walking around, but any faster and my feet went all over. Jacked them up today and I'm all good (very sore knees though.. ouch.)

Wheatermay 09-27-2012 02:07 AM

Well, that's how I've had them. They are quite comfy that way to me. have it up all the way on the right side. I think it may not help that I carry my saddle with me everywhere, and that right side doesnt want to stay turned out. I put the stirrup turner on to help with that, but they made me feel like they were too long.

tinyliny 09-27-2012 03:29 AM

the stirrup turner does drop them , so you need to raise them one notch to compensate.

ChingazMyBoy 09-27-2012 03:41 AM

I think that it would be best to take them up a hole, they look a little long. But as said above - it's hard to tell without you being on a horse.

By the way, sitting on a saddle when it's not on a horse can be damaging for it. Just thought I'd mention it for future references (-:

Wheatermay 09-27-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChingazMyBoy (Post 1698428)
I think that it would be best to take them up a hole, they look a little long. But as said above - it's hard to tell without you being on a horse.

By the way, sitting on a saddle when it's not on a horse can be damaging for it. Just thought I'd mention it for future references (-:

I didnt know that! THANKS! I will keep my butt off!!! And I will move my stirrups up again! No one ever helps me with this kind of stuff, so I do it on the stand myself. I will have to get someone to start helping now, lol...

mls 09-27-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChingazMyBoy (Post 1698428)

Not for the five minutes to take a photo. And honestly if it's a good quality saddle - it will be perfectly fine.

Stirrup length depends on the barrel of the horse and the type of footwear you have on and the type of riding. A casual trail ride - longer, working cattle or running barrels - shorter.

Wheatermay 09-27-2012 01:59 PM

I dont have any pics of me on my horse... lol... I looked... Not even one with a bad angle. I have a few where they were first broken with my junk saddle.

corgi 09-27-2012 02:03 PM

I would definitely shorten them a little. You need to keep your heels down and I am not sure you can do that easily at that length!