The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Book recomindations. (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/book-recomindations-138925/)

HorseCourage 09-27-2012 12:43 PM

Book recomindations.

I have to read a book for 11th grade english class. It has to be by a British author. Anybody have good suggestions ? If its about horses that'd be even better :) but it doesnt have to be

LadyDreamer 09-29-2012 12:35 AM

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle. My dad gives these books a great deal of credit for the way he works with horses, because he says they taught him how to really LOOK at a horse and how to get to the root of a problem horse's behavior. Once he knows what causes the problem, it is much easier to fix.

Also if you watch any movies on it, watch only those which Sherlock Holmes was played by Basil Rathbone(my hero. I named my dog after him) or Jeremy Brett. They cannot compare to the books though.
Posted via Mobile Device

LadyDreamer 09-29-2012 12:39 AM

Aha! And it can be found online too!
The Project Gutenberg eBook of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Posted via Mobile Device

Foxhunter 09-29-2012 04:04 PM

There are so many classic novels.
Horse wise there is Black Beauty, Anna Sewell.
I love all Thomas Hardy novels,
Charles Dickens wrote wonderful tales which portrayed life of the times.
Jane Austen, to name a few. Of course, there is always good old Shakespeare but his are all old English which can be hard going.

tinyliny 09-29-2012 05:05 PM

Well, if it just has to be by a British Author, there are literally thousands that would qualify.

Watership Down?
Any of the Harry Potter series

All Creatures Great and Small

Come on, there are just thousands@!

farmpony84 09-29-2012 09:13 PM

Water ship down.... That one scared thevpoop out of me!