The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Arabian Pedigree & Pic (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/arabian-pedigree-pic-138933/)

EnduranceLover6 09-27-2012 12:28 PM

Arabian Pedigree & Pic

1 Attachment(s)
I looked at this mare yesterday and LOVED her. She was exactly what I am looking for under saddle and seems pretty well built. What can you tell me about her bloodlines? Sorry the pictures is not a good conformation shot, but I figured it would give you a idea of her structure. Good/Bad?

Speed Racer 09-27-2012 12:34 PM

You haven't posted anything about her pedigree.

Really bad picture, and what's with the 'artistic' sepia toning? If I had to make a purchase decision based on that picture, I'd say no.

EnduranceLover6 09-27-2012 12:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Whoops sorry i forgot to post the pedigree link:

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/lr+selena

An excuse me about the sephia. Here is the original I had to upload from my phone, for all you sephia haters out there ;-)

Speed Racer 09-27-2012 12:52 PM

I don't hate sepia, but it hides things. That's why it should be kept to artistic pictures you plan to hang on your walls. :-P

She has a lot of crosses to Bask, which means she definitely has a performance pedigree. I also like that she goes back to Bey el Bey and Nazeer, as well as Serafix and Hallany Mistanny. Lots of good old performance names.

From what I can see of her she has a decently short back, nice croup without being too flat, nicely set tail, okay shoulder angle, and appears to have a nice, big eye. Her throatlatch looks a little thick, her neck is shorter than optimum, and her head appears to be coarser than I like to see on a purebred, but she's certainly not unattractive. Her pasterns concern me, especially that back right. It could just be the picture and she was caught rocked back on it, but I'd like to see her squared up and moving with a rider.

Overall, if she passes a PPE, she'd certainly be welcome at my barn. Cute girl.

Speed Racer 09-27-2012 01:19 PM

Crap, I meant back LEFT. D'oh! :oops:

Joe4d 09-27-2012 01:22 PM

For endurance ? Id pass. dark color, rounded croup, dainty legs, small feet. While Bask lines are scattered about the dainty show Bey lines seem to be coming through.

Remali 09-27-2012 10:40 PM

I like her, but they sure don't have her set up/stood up very well (and I love the sepia shot, but then I'm also a photography buff). She is a blend of Polish, Crabbet, and some Egyptian. The Crabbet horses actually do extremely well at endurance.

Speed Racer 09-28-2012 01:26 PM

I guess Joe's now an expert on Arabians. Quite amazing since he's never owned one, and only took an interest in them this year. Before, he was touting the superiority of gaited breeds over every other. :?

A more rounded croup is desirable in endurance, because that means the horse can get its back legs up under itself better than a horse with a flatter croup.

For her build there's nothing wrong with the size of her feet or legs, and her pedigree is filled with performance horses which means she should have good stamina.

Golden Horse 09-28-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1700100)
I guess Joe's now an expert on Arabians. Quite amazing since he's never owned one, and only took an interest in them this year. Before, he was touting the superiority of gaited breeds over every other. :?

Probably been researching a lot, like a scientist you know, means that his conclusions are made up.

I know nothing about what makes an endurance horse, but I wouldn't worry about her legs, while she may be lighter, I personally wouldn't call them dainty, it is the density of bone that makes a difference, and I would take a slimmer denser bone, over thicker softer any time.

deserthorsewoman 09-28-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 1698842)
For endurance ? Id pass. dark color, rounded croup, dainty legs, small feet. While Bask lines are scattered about the dainty show Bey lines seem to be coming through.

Here we go again with the "dainty show Bey lines"....;-)
I don't see anything dainty in this mare. It fits together well. Besides, the pic is not in the best perspective.
The only thing I don't like is her neck. But that might be from false riding and can be corrected.

As for dainty...whoever told you that probably isn't aware of the greater bone density in the Arabian compared to other breeds
Proof are the countless "Bey" horses who compete successfully. Just ask Sheila Varian ......