The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   First Trail Use of New Garmin (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/first-trail-use-new-garmin-138938/)

AQHSam 09-27-2012 02:24 PM

First Trail Use of New Garmin

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, the Garmin eTrex 30 is too cool for popsicles.

I am uploading my two rides. I uploaded the data from the eTrex into BaseCamp and then I used BaseCamp to overlay Google Earth. I used different colors to define the two rides.

The magenta/purple trail was the first trail at 3.5 miles in distance with an elevation variance of less than a 100 ft. You can't tell, but we stayed in the valley due to the miniture and 4 yr old we were ponying.

The blue trail was the 2nd trip and was a short 35 minute ride through meadows with trails through light tree coverage.

My riding buddy and I are heading back down this weekend and hope to map out several of the trails. The important part will be stopping to catch trail markers.

QOS 09-27-2012 03:51 PM

that is way too cool for even penguins. I like the overlay of two rides in two colors. I wonder if I can do that with my eTrex Ventura HC? I need to do that!!! Aren't Garmins the Bomb?

AQHSam 09-27-2012 09:24 PM

You should be able to easily using Base camp. Click and select one ride and then change the trail color. After you do that you go into the one menu and select Google Earth and the two programs do the rest.

I dont think it would matter which Garmin you have.

QOS 09-27-2012 10:13 PM

I tried awhile ago - I have used Base Camp before but it loaded all the tracks at once. OMG can't tell one from the other!

AQHSam 09-27-2012 11:02 PM

That happened to me too. Luckily I saved each track with a date and trail number. You can rename the tracks in bc.

AQHSam 09-27-2012 11:03 PM

I was able to get two distinct tracks for the same date by saving the ride and turning the unit off. That's important.

QOS 09-28-2012 12:53 AM

I was able to go in a do something like that. I downloaded Google Earth - I had a new computer that it wasn't on - so I am still fiddling with it. My trails are wide in Base Camp!!! I tried to see if I could change that without any luck.

DancingArabian 09-28-2012 01:16 AM

What's base camp?

This looks neat. I'm going to stick it on my wish list.

QOS 09-28-2012 02:00 AM

It is a program that comes with a Garmin to upload your tracks and waypoints.

I also use EveryTrail and Garmin Connect.

Tracer 09-28-2012 09:18 AM

*goes to look up all the fancy gadgets that I've never even heard of before*

I would love to do trail riding like that one day! Whenever I get a horse, I'll have to look into places around here to do it.