The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Possible pony for my 6 year old... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/possible-pony-my-6-year-old-138995/)

Ace80908 09-27-2012 10:37 PM

Possible pony for my 6 year old...

2 Attachment(s)
I am going on the 10th (earliest day we were both available) to go look at an aged pony -somewhere between 20 and 25 - for a first pony for my 6 1/2 year old daughter Wren.

Some background:
I bought a pony for her last spring, but the mare was a leadline pony and Wren needed a little more. I sold her, looked last year for a suitable pony, but couldn't find the right one. Wren started on the lungeline riding Whiskey, my 4 year old mare, but obviously a 4 year old 15.3 hand mare isn't a good fit, so she rode very, very closely supervised. Loved it, and wants to ride with me every evening.

So two months ago I put an ad on craigslist asking for a old, broke to death, sadly outgrown pony in need of a new little girl to love. Didn't get an answer and forgot about the ad.

Until today when I got an email from a lady who has George. He's an old paint pony, and according to her, her six year old can mount and ride him unassisted and the neighbors use him as their riding pony, and can walk/trot/canter him and crawl all over him. She is seeking a new home for him because they can't afford the hay prices, and he requires senior feed and a little extra care because of his age. Her daughter doesn't ride him enough to justify the expense for her.

I am pretty excited to go visit him, they are 3 hours away and we both have plans for the next couple weekends, but pretty hopeful he is what she represents him to be. Here are a couple pics:

As you may be following, we are going through treating Whiskey for a particularly nasty sarcoid so this is a little ray of sunshine... he looks pretty cute and in great shape (other than his feet need a trim) for his age. He is current on shots and just got his teeth done, although he is missing a few and the others are short. He isn't a halter horse, and will be used for teaching Wren to ride, to guide, to go down the trail and play in the pasture....

What do you all think?

LadyDreamer 09-27-2012 10:45 PM

He is adorable! I wish you the best of luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

Jewelsb 09-27-2012 10:50 PM

He is cute I hope it works out! Honestly I would robably buy him for my daughter as her first horse! He sounds perfect!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Ace80908 09-27-2012 11:10 PM

No buying necessary - he is free if we fit (but of course we all know there is no such thing...) can't wait to go see him, the next few weeks will go by pretty slowly. His mom and I talked for about an hour, she sent me pics and I sent her pics of our place and Wren riding Whiskey, and she decided we would be a great retirement home for him - I also have a 3 year old that can follow behind once Wren outgrows him. She just wants him to have a barn, a paddock, and a little girl to love him ... my oldest learned how to ride on a 37 year old, so age doesn't scare me ...

oobiedoo 09-27-2012 11:46 PM

Lucky pony and little girl : ) sounds like a match made in heaven. Please post pictures of happy couple later.

kait18 09-28-2012 09:43 AM

oh fingers crossed!! i hope it all works out as nicely as it sounds :)

plus if it does work, i along with everyone else will be in need of some updated pics of the new pair together :)

goodluck

nikelodeon79 09-28-2012 10:12 AM

I think he's super cute! My only pause would be... your daughter is obviously going to get very attached to him, and with him being 20-25 years old, she might have to deal with losing him way too soon.

EmilyJoy 09-28-2012 10:20 AM

Subbing for pictures! :)

Regula 09-28-2012 10:22 AM

Are you planning to keep him for the rest of his life?
Posted via Mobile Device

Inga 09-28-2012 10:31 AM

Well, they don't come much cuter then that. I hope it goes well for all involved, including the pony. At that age, how much he will want to deal with is likely limited too. I have had horses that were ridable well into late 20's and even early 30 though they were limited in their movement by that point. If Wren is happy doing a whole lot of walking and a bit of trotting and small bits of canter, then hopefully this is the pony for her.

As someone else mentioned there could potentially be a hard lesson learned as this pony is up in age. That said, even a young horse can develop a life threatening issue and how better to learn about life then with loving family to support you through it? Death is sadly a part of life. Old age is part of it too and teaching Wren that extra care is involved with her older pony and that as one ages, there are limits. Seems like an invaluable lesson to me.

I hope the pony is all he is said to be. I hope you will generously post a whole lot of pictures of Wren on her new pony if it works out.