The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   appreciation gifts? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/appreciation-gifts-139028/)

kait18 09-28-2012 11:54 AM

appreciation gifts?

Well not sure if this goes here or parenting but i need some tips :)

this past year alot of things have changed and my parents have really been helping me out ALOT!!

little things as reminding me about appointments, college loan stuff, and most important helping me during the week with my horse duties especially feeding!!

i am really grateful for my parents and for the first time i am actually stumped as to what to get them for a gift to show them i am really thankful for there help. i am not talking christmas gift ideas. i am talking just random gifts to give them to thank them.

now all you parents out there, what would you want your child to buy or make you for an appreciation gift??

thanks for your help

Cacowgirl 09-28-2012 12:05 PM

A gift card to a restaurant-if they like to eat out. A vehicle washed, waxed, cleaned out & a full gas tank! The "makings" for a nice dinner if they like to cook (or BBQ). Movie tickets? You know them best-something that shows you were thinking of them.

kitten_Val 09-28-2012 01:47 PM

kait, I buy little presents for parents here and there just because I feel like it. Usually wine and sometime flowers (handmade decorated cake or pastries from the bakery work too). :) (they don't go to movies or restaurants, and don't really care for them, but if your parents do those would be nice presents too).

gunslinger 09-28-2012 02:25 PM

There's nothing as nice as a big hug, a kiss on the cheek, and a "Thanks Dad"....

However, the truck needs a wax job......

Parents don't do for you in order to get any other gift other than the gift of love....

Did I mention the truck needs waxing?

Your thoughtfulness is delightful.......

Use good carnuba wax.....

FlyGap 09-28-2012 03:48 PM

Kait you are such a sweetie! Great ideas guys!

My parents are REALLY REALLY hard to buy for so sentiment goes a long way!

When was the last time you guys had a family photo done? Nothing too fancy because that's a hassle but get everyone together and have a friend take a snap shot then spend the money on getting a good print and nice frame.

My Dad BBQ's so I found him a flashlight/spatula combo and he loves it! Pair that with some nice steaks or seafood, or fancy wood chips for the grill.

They both travel alllll the time for work so I've gone up there and either stocked their fridge with a healthy fresh meal or surprised them and had a homemade pot of stew on the oven.

Look around and try and find messy areas. The counter at my parents house gets cluttered up so I always tried to clear it off before they got home, they loved it!

Do they have any old photos or keepsakes in a drawer? Frame them in a shadow box and pin correlating trinkets or tickets or whatever. I've done a few and my Dad loves them!

kait18 09-28-2012 03:59 PM

thanks guys these are great ideas.

now i have some ideas what i should do this weekend...

ie wax cars, get a family photo, cook dinner or gift card so they can have a date night, etc etc

gosh way to fill up a perfectly good saturday to make others feel good.

thanks again everyone have a great weekend :)

ps flygap i can't "like" your post but i do like it lol :)

DancingArabian 09-28-2012 04:14 PM

Doing extras for them would go a long way. Cook or bring dinner home, buy goodies, do some extra chores around the house (pick ones you know they dislike or have trouble with), if you use their car, fill up the tank a time or two. Do they work? Pack them a lunch. Give them a restaurant gift certificate and send them on a date night. Buy some extra groceries. You get the idea :)
Posted via Mobile Device

RATHER BE RIDING 09-28-2012 05:46 PM

I am the mother of 3 and love anything that my kids give me, because it meant that they were thinking about me. BUT, what would mean more to me then anything is a letter from them. First to say thank you, but also when they mention things I did or said that made a difference in their lives. I get a lot of "thanks for all you do" but when they tell me specific things that touched them, it validates me as a parent and makes me feel like I did something right.

Missy May 09-30-2012 01:45 AM

I like pretty blankets or throws. They keeps you warm - and I always think of the person that gave me blanket, quilt, or throw "x" when I use it.

mtngrl7500 10-03-2012 03:37 PM

I agree with RATHER. I'm a fairly new mother, my daughter is only 4, but she "wrote" me a letter one day. I asked her to read it for me and the things she read were "Thank you for this, thank you for that" and it wasn't mundane things...it was things important to her, like singing her a song at night and rubbing her back. Yeah, she's only 4 but she has brought me little gifts before and she says thank you...but that letter melted me, it was sincere and heartfelt from her. I can't read a word of her scribble, but I still have it and will keep it always.

On the opposite hand, my mom wrote me a letter when I graduated HS. It was just her telling me how proud she was and other personal things, but it was just so special and meant so much.

I still think getting a gift is nice, whether it's bought or it's something you physically do, but I think you should include a letter. It will touch them in ways you will probably never know.