The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Need opinions -looking for a saddle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/need-opinions-looking-saddle-139030/)

BarrelWannabe 09-28-2012 12:24 PM

Need opinions -looking for a saddle

I'm finally in the position that I can afford a good quality used saddle, and I would like opinions as to what would be a good buy.
My main requirements are that it has full bars and atleast a 7 inch gullet. Seat wise, I can fit a 15", but it's a tad roomy so I'm thinking a 14" or a 14.5" would be best as I like to have just enough room to move, but no more than I need.
Brand wise, I'd like a Billy Cook. I like the way I sit in one, and they're tough.

Here are a few I like:

14in Billy Cook Barrel Saddle for sale in Le flore, Oklahoma :: HorseClicks
I'm a bit suspicious of the price, if it is indeed "brand new".

Twister Roping Saddle - 14" Seat for sale in Oklahoma :: HorseClicks
I like this one, although it's a roping saddle, not a barrel.

Billy Cook 14" Barrel Saddle for sale in Canadian, Oklahoma :: HorseClicks
This saddle looks like a carbon copy of what I'm riding(borrowing) in now, which is comfy and I feel balanced in it.

Billy Cook barrel saddle 14.5" for sale in Cleveland, Oklahoma :: HorseClicks
Seat wise, this is the optimal size, although the higher cantle probably makes it sit like a 14".

15" Tod Slone Barrel Saddle for sale in Creek, Oklahoma :: HorseClicks
I'm on the fence with this one, but if I could get it for the right $, I'd be happy.

Thanks so much for reading though all of that! :lol:

Edit: I'm open to more than just barrel saddles!

cowgirl4753 09-28-2012 12:32 PM

I like the one from Cleveland, very nice looking saddle. Are you looking to go barrel racing is that why your looking at mainly them? If so stay away from the roping saddles. The striupps are set further back to allow you to stand up in the saddle. Barrel saddles are more slung forward so you don't get pushed ahead and out of position. I know cuz I'm currently barrel racing in my rope saddle till I can get a barrel saddle! ;-)
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelWannabe 09-28-2012 12:39 PM

I'm wanting to learn how, so I thought it best to look for one. At the same time, I'm up for opportunity to ride, so if the price is right and I really like the saddle, I'd get it.

Saddlebag 09-28-2012 06:33 PM

Believe it or not, these are not high end saddles, more of an economy saddle. The newer Billy Cooks aren't the saddles of 20 years ago. I'd be surprised if there is really any difference between the first one and the others. They all likely have a Ralide tree. They all use about the same amount of leather. Some sellers think because it's for barrel racing they can price it high and someone will pay that. There's a Manitoba Company Western Rawhide that puts out an identical saddle. I sold a nice used one for $450.