The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Cutting and Team Penning (http://www.horseforum.com/cutting-team-penning/)
-   -   really cool Appy cutting horse video (http://www.horseforum.com/cutting-team-penning/really-cool-appy-cutting-horse-video-139067/)

tinyliny 09-29-2012 12:05 AM

really cool Appy cutting horse video

I know nothing about cutting. Just saw this on YT and thought I'd share

Earthquate Ike. Love that name.

NicoleS11 09-29-2012 02:40 PM

Very cool video. The rider is a guy from Canada that I know pretty well. Was just at his house a month ago picking up a 2 year old from a friend. The 2 year old is a grandson of this stud.

QHriderKE 09-29-2012 02:54 PM

I had to laugh, at one point, the guy riding looks like he's scared crapless.

FlyGap 09-29-2012 06:42 PM

28 Attachment(s)
GIMMIE GIMMIE GIMMIE!!!!!!! He's awesome!
What fun would that be? Wonder if they're harder to cut than cows? Probably.

myhorsesonador 09-29-2012 06:44 PM

I love that video

arrowsaway 09-29-2012 07:33 PM

I know next to nothing about cutting, so excuse this possibly dumb question.
How much of this is the rider and how much is the horse's instinct? It seems this appy is very adept at judging the body language of the buffalo, and acting accordingly. Kind of amazing.

BubblesBlue 09-29-2012 07:48 PM

I'm not a cutter but I know a few things. Riders do direct their horses but they are very subtle cues from the leg. The rider never uses his/her reins until they want to stop their horse and put their hands on the horse's neck.
Cutters often wear chaps in order to hide the cues they are giving their horse.
So cutting mostly consists of showing off how good the horse and rider work together as well as how well the training of the horse is.

If I said something wrong, feel free to correct me! This is just my knowledge from just starting cutting and my mom doing it for many years.

DimSum 09-29-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QHriderKE (Post 1701248)

I know I would be! Those buffalo are HUGE :shock:

BubblesBlue 09-29-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QHriderKE (Post 1701248)

In description of the video, it says that Earthquake Ike is teaching this green cutter how to ride.

NicoleS11 10-03-2012 11:34 AM

This man is a open cowhorse rider. First time ever sitting on a cutting horse and if you watch that horse and know cutting...that horse for any rider would be a difficult ride. The buffalo barely twitches a ear and that horse is jumping side to side and late on his ends which means he has to work extra hard to get back across then by the time he gets there he is late again...nice horse...athletic...but not as nice as some might think...