The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Movies, Music, and TV (http://www.horseforum.com/movies-music-tv/)
-   -   Any John Denver fans? (http://www.horseforum.com/movies-music-tv/any-john-denver-fans-139088/)

GlassPlatypus 09-29-2012 03:13 AM

Any John Denver fans?

Both myself and my late mother were (and still am, for me) huge fans of John Denver. I was actually the one responsible for getting my mom on the bandwagon.

When I was 11 years old (don't ask- a long time ago, lol!) she spotted an ad in the paper that he was going to be performing in a concert in a nearby city. She knew that I liked him, so she decided to ask me if I wanted to go. Well, of COURSE I did! :lol:

Amazingly, that concert was on my 12th birthday, which made it extra-special. When we both went in to the concert, I was the only JD fan, but by the time it was over, Mom had been bitten by the bug too. His voice and music enchanted us both so much that we joined a JD fan club that had a notice up on one of the windows of the facility.

There were more concerts that followed that one- all of them awesome. We had almost every album he ever made, I learned nearly all his songs word-for-word, and any time he was going to be on TV we watched and Mom taped it. (Unfortunately most of those tapes were destroyed when a pipe in our home burst years ago. :-()

As the anniversary of his death approaches again, I've found myself thinking about him more than usual. Is anyone else here a JD fan? Do you have any favorite songs? Ever seen him in concert? Ever met him? (if you have, I envy you! :D)

Even if you aren't a fan, I'd like to hear from anyone who just appreciates John and/or his music.

Allison Finch 09-29-2012 03:31 AM

I love his music, too! I wish I had more of it on CD.

Lockwood 09-29-2012 08:06 AM

I'm a fan too. Growing up my mom was a huge Beatles and Elvis fan, but I preferred JD. Haven't met him, but I do have a few of his CD tucked away, and when a movie about his life came out I sat through the entire thing with a box of tissues.
Although I'm not sure if it is my favorite song, whenever his name is mentioned the melody of "Rocky Mountain High" floats through my brain.

Speed Racer 09-29-2012 08:48 AM

Big fan, and saw him in concert many years ago. He sang so many songs I loved, but one that has always resonated with me is Calypso.

He did a few movies too, mostly silly things, but of course I saw them. Who didn't like the pairing of George Burns and John Denver in Oh God?

GlassPlatypus 09-29-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1700959)
Big fan, and saw him in concert many years ago. He sang so many songs I loved, but one that has always resonated with me is Calypso.

He did a few movies too, mostly silly things, but of course I saw them. Who didn't like the pairing of George Burns and John Denver in Oh God?

Calypso is actually the first song I heard from him (as far as I know). I love that song. I've seen most of his movies too.

And Lockwood, I think I know the movie you're talking about. Is that the one that starred Chad Lowe? It was quite good.

tinyliny 09-29-2012 01:43 PM

I like him , too. Saw him in concert in about `1975? he was such a gentleman.

Allison Finch 09-29-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1700959)

You know what is sad. Many young people have no idea of what the Calypso was and what it meant to so many people. For me, Cousteau was the inspiration that led me to a life underwater with scuba equipment.

To this day, the song he made commemorating the Calypso still brings tears to my eyes.

tinyliny 09-29-2012 05:14 PM

I loved that! you reminded me how much I looked forward to his television show . His son is still doing a lot of such work, no?

And, AF, you could make a better video to that song with YOUR photography. hint hint.

Northernstar 09-29-2012 05:23 PM

Big John Denver fan!!!!! Ever since I was a kid - his songs were always on the radio and I've never stopped loving his music. I have his Greatest Hits CD in my car right there ready to pop in any time. Very fitting with living here in the north woods, and mine and my husband's occupations. My all time favorite is "The Eagle And The Hawk", and then so many right up there - "Calypso" being one of them, as I also grew up watching Jacques Cousteau every week....Two awesome people to grow up with who have made such a wonderful influence in their lifetimes! :)

Northernstar 09-29-2012 05:34 PM

Allison! How cool you've included that video clip - I've had that saved for a long time - can't believe the irony in that about an hour ago, our oldest son (who's currently working in OH) sent me a txt saying, "Hey Mom, they're playing that John Denver "Yodeling" song in Kroger right now, haha" Both sons have also grown up with his music, but have always made fun of "Calypso" for some reason - (for shame, I know....) Somewhere on youtube there's a clip of him singing it live at one of Jacques' last birthday gatherings, and it's very touching. (*Please forgive the double post, btw.....)