The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Contact (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/contact-139090/)

Ellieandrose 09-29-2012 06:59 AM

Contact

So, I'm having problems trying to accept contact. I can get her to search for it by lowering and stretching her neck but the she gets the contact and then she'll freak out and throw her head up. :think: Got any ideas to help her stay calm about the contact. Ill put a video up soon of it.

Foxhunter 09-29-2012 09:02 AM

Have you had her teeth checked especially for wolf teeth?

Ellieandrose 09-29-2012 10:15 AM

Yep, she gets her teeth done every six months.(:
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 09-29-2012 02:25 PM

If teeth or bit themselves are not causeing pain, then try this:

When she moves her head up, you follow her up with your hand. Don't ever try to pull her down with a downward angled pullying hand. one sees this ALL the time. it is only going t make her hate the contact because it pulls directly on the bars. if you follow her up, keeping that straight line from elbow, through hand to bit, she gets not reward of release from the contact by raising her head. You be sure to not punish her, but to follow very evenly , neither decreasing nor increasing the contact.
She'll want to find a release from that , so she'll raise it higher, move right, left try all kinds of things , but when she lowers her head , even a tiny amount, you give a release in your hand and say "That's it! thank you".

Start with this to teach her to not raise her head as an escape mechanism. Then, as she starts lowering her head, and you release , make the release smaller and smaller, and retake up a very soft contact after she lowers her head to a normal position. This is how you work to making her accpt contact without evasion.

Ellieandrose 11-11-2012 05:08 PM

So, now the problem has changed completely. I ask her to give she takes it to the extreme. She will bite down and then drag her face on the ground so I ask her to pick her head up abit and her head goes right back in the air. This only happens when I'm pushing her forward with my legs. When not pishing forward its back to the constant gives then freaks, gives then freaks. I've got a dressage trainer coming out soon. Hopefully I can get the pony a little saner. (:
Posted via Mobile Device

mbaron5731 11-12-2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellieandrose (Post 1753561)
So, now the problem has changed completely. I ask her to give she takes it to the extreme. She will bite down and then drag her face on the ground so I ask her to pick her head up abit and her head goes right back in the air. This only happens when I'm pushing her forward with my legs. When not pishing forward its back to the constant gives then freaks, gives then freaks. I've got a dressage trainer coming out soon. Hopefully I can get the pony a little saner. (:
Posted via Mobile Device

GOOD! There is a difference! A drastic difference, and you've also stated that you're adding leg and pushing her foreward makes her grab the bit and go. This Means, since she wasn't throwing her head up (essentially counterbalancing your signal) when you pushed her forward, she's accepted her balance and being able to flex at the poll and really stretch out her neck and back muscles. Extending that trot (yes get comfortable with taking it to the next step) and really holding your hands steady, let her find out how to get her body moving. Collect for a few strides. Consider a relaxed sitting trot. Whether you ride english or western, getting your horse to hold a steady jog, or a frame in an extended trot (full body balanced frame, not the new hunters b.s.). Allowing your horse to figure out what they can really do is basically the point of riding and learning right?! You gotta live to learn! :]

Hope my advice helps!

Beling 11-13-2012 01:12 PM

I agree with the others.

Be patient! My horse went through the very same stages--- first no contact, then she started pulling. Things were irregular for awhile. It's still not perfect, but I think now it's more a problem of my own riding than her acceptance of the bit.