The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   What Should You Put In A Resignation Letter? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/what-should-you-put-resignation-letter-139111/)

BornToRun 09-29-2012 12:25 PM

What Should You Put In A Resignation Letter?

I want to quit my part time job, and it is required to hand in a letter of resignation when you give your notice, but I really don't know what I should put in it.

Golden Horse 09-29-2012 12:49 PM

`Lots of options depending on why you are leaving, but the standard is something like

This is to inform you that I will be leaving your employment on *date* my last working shift will therefore be *date*

Thank you for the opportunity of working for you.

If you want to pad with the reasons you are leaving you can, but not needed. If it is a job you may want to return to, then you can add that as well.

Golden Horse 09-29-2012 12:51 PM

Or just take the title of this song

AlexS 09-29-2012 12:53 PM

I'd do just as Golden Horse suggested and not put in any reasons. If you want to give reasons, then do that in person when you hand in the letter, but I wouldn't put them in writing.

MangoRoX87 09-29-2012 12:53 PM

Lol golden horse!! If I was on my phone I'd like the heck out of that!!
Posted via Mobile Device

BornToRun 09-29-2012 06:27 PM

lol I want another job, so I'm going to use the letter

MissKriss 09-29-2012 06:34 PM

You can actually google "resignation letter template" and it will show you varies different ways to write your resignation letter according to your reason/use.

I have used a format like those just last week to formally resign from my job.. lol
Posted via Mobile Device

mtngrl7500 10-03-2012 03:53 PM

You may have done your letter by now, but when I quit my job in January I had to write a letter as well. Mine was short and sweet and went something like this:

This letter is to inform you of my intent to resign from my current position effective *date*. I have enjoyed my experience working here and, if in the future, I wish to resume my role in this company I would like to be considered for the position.

HagonNag 10-04-2012 05:51 AM

As a former HR person, mtngrl7500 nailed it.

Keep it short.
Be nice.
If you want to ever be considered for another job there, mention that you enjoyed your job and the people you worked with.

It's not necessary to go beyond that. If they ask, you might give a reason for leaving...make sure it's reasonable and doesn't reflect badly on the company.
If you want to, you can certainly add it to the letter, but it isn't necessary.

What IS NECESSARY (esp. if you ever want to be considered for rehire...or want a reference from them) is as much notice as possible. 2 weeks is great.
If you are a professional, make it a month.