The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Sores at the corners of the mouth? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/sores-corners-mouth-139177/)

finn113 09-30-2012 09:55 AM

Sores at the corners of the mouth?

So two days ago I rode my horse Finn and I noticed that everytime I would use contact in the reins he would throw his head up, I know that the only other time he has ever thrown his head up is when you see-saw the reins. This time he did it even when I just I pulled back on the reins lightly or gathered contact with the reins. Yesterday while putting on his bridle(I was going to ride) I remembered what had happend two days ago and decided to check his mouth. I saw that (if you were looking towards him), his right corner of the mouth looked like a split callus. It didn't look THAT bad but I thought it was bad enough to cause him pain. I put some Vaseline on both corners of his mouth, especially the right side. I then dropped the bit down two holes so that if I used any rein contact he wouldn't have as much pain as he would with keeping the bit really high up. Personally, I always thought that the bit was too high up, so I am very happy to have a reason to lower it. So my question is, if you have ever had this problem or know someone who has, I would really appreciate any advice on how you helped "cure" it, or have had it happen to you, and found a way to stop it from occurring. Thanx!!:D

verona1016 09-30-2012 01:42 PM

What kind of bit are you using? A bit that's too small can cause sores that the corner of the mouth, especially loose ring bits, as they will pinch as the ring rotates through the mouthpiece.

I'd re-evaluate the fit of the bit, and ride bitless (or not at all) until his mouth heals.

SaddleStrings 09-30-2012 01:48 PM

When you adjust the bit on your bridle, the corners of your horses mouth should only have one wrinkle. Too many wrinkles means your bit is too tight and high in the mouth, no wrinkle at all means too loose and the bit is not sitting right in the mouth. So, you should make sure of that your bit isn't too small for your horses mouth and that the bridle is properly adjusted to fit your horse.

Ktibb 10-01-2012 03:51 PM

I agree with the above posters. Check the bit adjustment and go bitless or just give him time off until he is totally healed. Let us know how it goes.

finn113 11-21-2012 10:33 PM

Thanks guys, I am switching over to a d ring French link. The one he has now gave him cracks and irritated him, so I'm getting another mild bit. I'm going to do some ground exercises with him while he heals. Thanx for sticking with me!

Taffy Clayton 11-21-2012 11:12 PM

There is no reason to sea-saw on the reins. Rethink this manuver.

finn113 11-21-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taffy Clayton (Post 1767845)
There is no reason to sea-saw on the reins. Rethink this manuver.

I'm hoping that your intention was not to be rude but it came across that way.

I don't see-saw the reins anymore, that's exactly why i said in the post that see-sawing the reins makes him throw his head up, which is not my goal. I tried it once, he didn't like it so I don't do that anymore, I now just apply light pressure. So in a sense, I did "rethink the maneuver".

Taffy Clayton 11-21-2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finn113 (Post 1701936)
I know that the only other time he has ever thrown his head up is when you see-saw the reins. :D

This sentance made it sound like you "sea-sawed" on a regular basis. Just saying if you do this regularly, it is not a good idea.
No rudness intended.
Happy Thanksgiving to that cute little paint and you!

finn113 11-22-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taffy Clayton (Post 1767867)
This sentance made it sound like you "sea-sawed" on a regular basis. Just saying if you do this regularly, it is not a good idea.
No rudness intended.
Happy Thanksgiving to that cute little paint and you!

Oh yeah that sentence was rather misleading. I meant "you" as in a general, as in anyone lol sorry. Thanx, happy thanksgiving to you too!

loosie 11-22-2012 06:34 PM

Hi,

Agree with the above. I would not be using ANY bit until his mouth has healed.

Split callouses is probably exactly what has happened if the bit has been putting constant pressure on his mouth from being too tight. You can't use a bit for light communication if it's causing constant pressure either.

Yes, it seems to be a common tradition for people to want one, two or three(seems to depend where you're from or the 'circle' you're in) wrinkles to be present, or they reckon the bit's too loose, but I agree with Saddlebag, that if there is more than one light one, it's too tight - & depending on the mouth in question, you don't need any wrinkles - depends if teeth are going to interfere when you have it looser.