The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Farrier work (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/farrier-work-139189/)

Oldhorselady 09-30-2012 01:30 PM

Farrier work

I will be looking for a new farrier when I move....what do you think about this one?

Rick Russo's Art of Horseshoeing (Professional Farrier/Blacksmith)

Cacowgirl 10-01-2012 10:54 AM

I liked the wording of his ad, but I have a problem with how most farriers nowadays file off the periople form the hoof. Yes, it looks more finished, but that is a "natural" protection & should be left alone-IMO.

Oldhorselady 10-02-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cacowgirl (Post 1702938)
I liked the wording of his ad, but I have a problem with how most farriers nowadays file off the periople form the hoof. Yes, it looks more finished, but that is a "natural" protection & should be left alone-IMO.

I was wondering about the whole rasping the outside of the hoof wall like that too.....

deserthorsewoman 10-02-2012 10:06 AM

Other than the rasping away the periople he seems to be doing a pretty decent job. I'd like to see the sole also, tho. Maybe he won't rasp it if told? Or maybe he'd be offended if told.......

Oldhorselady 10-02-2012 02:35 PM

I think I will give him a try. He seemed very receptive to what I said and looked at Belle's xrays and pictures. He seemed to have a positive outlook on what he could do for her.

deserthorsewoman 10-02-2012 02:40 PM

That sounds great! Keep me updated:-)

Trinity3205 10-04-2012 10:41 PM

His work looks quite good from what we can see. How's your gal doing anyway?

Oldhorselady 10-04-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trinity3205 (Post 1707426)
His work looks quite good from what we can see. How's your gal doing anyway?

Hey Trinity! That means a lot coming from you! She is doing better....I rode her today a few times around the arena for the first time in weeks/months. She has started to feel less ouchy....I hadn't re-wrapped her feet and just been trying to have them grow out a little. I noticed her feeling better over the past several days and yesterday she ran around in the arena bucking and galloping...so I figured some light trotting would get the blood flow going again. We take it day by day for now. We will see how she looks at her next trim in November.

This farrier in San Diego I have been in touch with. He has seen her xrays and photos and seems to think he can help her. So, once everything is finalized here, I will travel down there to look at facilities and meet him!