The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Saddle pad recommendation - Western (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/saddle-pad-recommendation-western-139232/)

nikelodeon79 09-30-2012 07:29 PM

Saddle pad recommendation - Western

I'm eventually going to be riding Dressage but while my horse is green and I'm still learning the proper position, my trainer wants me in a Western saddle. That's fine with me, since I feel more secure (I've ridden western my entire life) and I planned on getting a Western saddle for trail riding, anyway.

My trainer prefers Pro Choice or thick wool pads. What brands/types of pad would you guys recommend?

SouthernTrails 09-30-2012 07:32 PM

I like these, good price

EC85- Diamond Wool Endurance Contoured Felt Saddle Pad

JustDressageIt 09-30-2012 07:34 PM

I love the Pro Choice ESP pads. It's what I would use if I rode western. They have a contoured back, are made if breathable wool and memory foam in the middle.
(I used to work in a tack store.)
Posted via Mobile Device

NorthernMama 09-30-2012 09:30 PM

Subbing because I am shopping as well for a western saddle pad.

I'd like to have something that has like a liner under it so I can wash the liner. All the pads I have now I wash with a pressure washer, but they never seem to be clean anymore and I don't think the pressure washer is doing the pads any favours.

SorrelHorse 10-01-2012 05:26 PM

Well I'm not sure how much you want to spend but I LOVE Won pads and Impact Gel pads.

CONTOUR FELT Pad.

Wonpad in Work/Protective at Schneider Saddlery

I like the material on tacky too pads as well and they are a little less expensive.

Reinsman Tacky Too Square Pad - Horse.com

nikelodeon79 10-01-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt (Post 1702411)
I love the Pro Choice ESP pads. It's what I would use if I rode western. They have a contoured back, are made if breathable wool and memory foam in the middle.
(I used to work in a tack store.)
Posted via Mobile Device

I haven't found any Pro Choice ESP... do you have a link?

tim62988 10-01-2012 07:42 PM

the one I like the best so far is reinsman's Tacky too pads.

they seem to wipe off easily and don't hold in a lot of heat or soak up sweat

franknbeans 10-01-2012 08:05 PM

I got my 5 Star based on recommendations here. I LOVE it. It is a high grade 100% wool felt and breathes well.

However-I got an email today, that there are some new pads out that I find intriguing, and I may just get one......
HorseLoverZ

I like the "Winslow......"

Saddlebag 10-01-2012 08:24 PM

Mine are two, 1/2" pads pure wool felt. I think they cost me maybe $80. No wear leathers but I put a thin wool blanket on top. Not too thick or parts of the saddle begin to float. It can also cause pinching in the gullet area. 1" is good. More isn't always better. Some of those thick felt pads have multiple rows of stitching with what looks like fine clear fishing line. These pads aren't as flexible as those without all the stitching.

enh817 10-01-2012 09:48 PM

I will only use 100% wool felt pads. In my opinion they compress best for shock absorption and they keep the back cooler than others

This is the one I have and I love it!
Saddles Tack Horse Supplies - ChickSaddlery.com Mustang Wool Contour Wool Pad

they also have a thicker, 1 inch one
Saddles Tack Horse Supplies - ChickSaddlery.com Mustang 1" Wool Contour Pad

and I also have this wool liner that I use under navajo blankets so they don't get dirty
Saddles Tack Horse Supplies - ChickSaddlery.com Wool Pad Protector