The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Farrier recommendations in the Portland, OR area (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/farrier-recommendations-portland-area-139248/)

crimsonsky 09-30-2012 10:28 PM

Farrier recommendations in the Portland, OR area

so my lovely accommodating (read the sarcasm here) horse decided to throw a shoe today. i've just recently moved to the Portland Oregon area and so do not yet have a farrier. there is a farrier that the barn typically uses however i'm not exactly the biggest fan of how some of the horses' feet look so... any recommendations (or notes on who i may want to stay away from - PMs are great for that) would be appreciated. :D

crimsonsky 10-01-2012 11:22 AM

bumpity bump. :)

Fluffy Pony 10-01-2012 11:25 AM

What side of Portland are you on? Beaverton? Gresham area? canby?

verona1016 10-01-2012 12:27 PM

I'd give a recommendation, but I just decided my farrier isn't working for my horse (but isn't bad enough to give an anti-recommendation) and I won't be meeting up with the new one for another week or so. :-P

crimsonsky 10-01-2012 12:43 PM

fluffy - my horse is in Newberg.

that's a bummer verona. :(

Wallaby 10-01-2012 12:49 PM

As far as farriers who can handle barefoot feet, I can't give you a suggestion - it seems allll of them either do pasture trims (even if it's a working horse and they know that) or just throw some nippers at the hoof and do a little rasping and give up (that's why I'm doing my own horse's feet). However, as far as shoes go, Dave Thiems is GREAT. He's also super great with the horses (Lacey, who's scared of most men due to her past, actually nickered and whinnied at him every time he came out!).

If you're on Facebook, join a group called "The Oregon Horse Forum". Most of the people on it are from southern/eastern OR but there are a few members from "up" here. When I needed farrier suggestions they gave me at least 5 suggestions - I tried 2 of them (one was too expensive for my budget and the other was Dave). I can't remember the other suggestions they gave me but I'm sure if you asked, you'd get the same suggestions. :)

crimsonsky 10-01-2012 01:15 PM

woohoo!! thanks wallaby! :D