The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   to cold to bathe a horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/cold-bathe-horse-139250/)

HarleyWood 09-30-2012 10:30 PM

to cold to bathe a horse?

how cold is too cold? my horses are out 24/7. i have stalls and a small arena that they can be in. the water would be from our well which is pretty cold. i have a cooler he could wear too.

also if i was to wash his back legs and dry them off how cold is too cold to do that?

i would be doing all this to my Pink skinned horse that seems to be MUCH MORE sensitive to everything i do to them (sun, cold, heat, ect) and my moms horse.

wetrain17 10-01-2012 12:56 PM

Ok, here's what I do. During the week, when I ride after work and have NO time, I will not hose my horse off if its cool enough that I need a long sleeved shirt. I just do a cury and turn him out.

However, I have access to hot and cold water and heat lamps in the winter, so my cut off is 45F for a bath. But I leave plenty of time to wait while the horse is standing in coolers under the lamps drying.

walkinthewalk 10-01-2012 01:05 PM

I don't have access to indoor washing so HE who could stand the cold better than others could see a bath clear into late Fall if the weather co-operated.

Until he hit his 20's and developed Equine Metabolic Syndrome, the horse in my avatar could handle a bath if it was 60 and the sun was shining.

Two more are good if it's "only in the 70's and the sun is shining.

The fourth horse, needs the temps to be mid-80's before he thinks that's not ice water coming out of the hose:lol:

As far as washing just the legs. If I have to wash legs in the winter, I carry enough hot water to the barn to wash with a cleanser (generally Dawn dish soap for just legs), then rinse. I towel dry them the best I can.

When it's too cold to bath, out comes the shop vac. Everybody loves the shop vac and all those little brush attachments that massage their faces - well not everybody - "Step Away From The Arab's Face" with the vacuum:lol:

DancingArabian 10-01-2012 01:16 PM

Hm. I have a little shop vac that needs a job. Do you have to do anything special to it or do you just attach the pieces and vacuum away?
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 10-01-2012 01:23 PM

Is it imperative for you to bathe your horse? Will something bad happen if he doesn't get a bath? If not, why not just brush him down and use rub rags? Only reason my horse ever gets a bath is if we are going to a show, if not, no bathing since neither of us enjoys it. By the way, I have bathed a horse during a spring snow storm, although I do have a washrack & warm water, it is not something I would do for the heck of it!
Posted via Mobile Device

walkinthewalk 10-01-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DancingArabian (Post 1703146)
Hm. I have a little shop vac that needs a job. Do you have to do anything special to it or do you just attach the pieces and vacuum away?
Posted via Mobile Device

I just attach the pieces and vacuum away - lol lol

That being said, I always re-introduce the vacuum on legs first and I always avoid the family jewels with the vacuum:shock::-P:shock::-P

One thing that does help to get the dirt and dander up is to give them a vigorous brushing backward with a hard bristled plastic brush first. That seems to dig up a lot more "stuff" for the vacuum to suck up:D

My Walking Horses loved their faces massaged with the little soft bristled attahment.

I don't even halter the one TWH. Soon as he hears the vacuum start up he starts "bobbing" his head, telling me he wants his face massaged and nevermind the rest of him:lol:

HarleyWood 10-01-2012 01:56 PM

hes super itchy and i wanted to get it out of him and really bathe him before winter. after 30 minutes of brushing he gets sore and will try to get away.

equiniphile 10-01-2012 05:38 PM

I have access to hot water but no wash rack (bathing is done cross-tied between two trees), so I won't bathe if it's really windy. I bathed at 65 the other day but made sure to put a cooler on her right after so she didn't get chilled. 60 without wind is my personal cutoff, and that's with hot water.