The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   My gelding won't accept new gelding... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/my-gelding-wont-accept-new-gelding-139280/)

Peanut97 10-01-2012 11:11 AM

My gelding won't accept new gelding...

>Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I don't know which one to put it in<

I have a gelding named Donny, and two mares. Donny thinks he's the 'stallion of his mares', so when I bought my new QH gelding, (3 yrs old), Donny's trying to 'protect' his mares and won't accept him. He chases him off and Cash (my new gelding) has bloody hoof marks on his rump and Donny has a bloody noes. Yesterday, Donny cornered Cash between the barn and a post and forced Cash through that ONE foot of space (I measured) And out of the pasture into our yard. Thankfully, I caught him. But I DON"T want that happening again. Today's a little better, He chases cash off but doesn't keep fighting. My mare, Peanut, loves Cash and shes always trying to be with him but whenever Peanut goes to Cash, Donny goes after cash again. Separating the horses is not an option. Will they settle down eventually? I don't want them getting hurt badly. Peanut wants Cash, Cash wants Peanut, but Donny doesn't want Cash and Peanut together.

Chiilaa 10-01-2012 11:18 AM

How long have they been in together?

Basically, the easy answer is to make sure the environment is safe (maybe patch the holes etc) and then let them have at it. They may get a bit bruised and battered, but eventually they will sort out a new pecking order and be fine. The more you intervene in this process, the longer it will take.

JustDressageIt 10-01-2012 11:36 AM

I hate to be the nay-sayer, but sometimes the herd dynamics just don't work; I'm not surprised to hear that a new gelding wasn't accepted into the herd of two mares and a gelding; unfortunately instinct takes over and even though he can't do anything about it, the original gelding thinks those mares are his and will fight off the new gelding.
Posted via Mobile Device

themacpack 10-01-2012 11:40 AM

Curious, OP, did you know that the gelding felt this way about his mares before you made the purchase of a new horse?
It may be time to cross-fence and separate the horses into two "herds"

wetrain17 10-01-2012 11:40 AM

This is why I always seperate horses by sex. Why not do the same? Start by leaving the girls in and turning the boys out, and then vise versa.

Chiilaa 10-01-2012 11:46 AM

Read the OP again, and you will see it clear states that separating the horses is not an option.

Delfina 10-01-2012 12:18 PM

Some horses absolutely will not, no matter what, get along with certain other horses.

I can't pasture my gelding with other geldings. Doesn't matter who they are, where they fall in the pecking order, no matter what, add another gelding or put one on the same fenceline or in the next stall over and it's World War 3. Put him in with mares and he's the low man on the totem pole and it's a calm, peaceful pasture.

If separating the horses is not an option, I'd suggest you start saving for Vet Bills. You are either going to spend the $$$ on the Vet or on more fencing if this continues.

themacpack 10-01-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiilaa (Post 1702982)
Read the OP again, and you will see it clear states that separating the horses is not an option.

That doesn't change teh fact that that may be the only solution

Kayella 10-01-2012 12:29 PM

We're not even sure how long they've been together. From what it sounds like, just two days. And there was a slight improvement in those two days. Now if it's been a couple months and the gelding is still attacking, then there is a problem.

waresbear 10-01-2012 12:49 PM

I wouldn't risk it! You can play around with herd dynamics but I stand by my saying "Mares make geldings do stupid things"!
Posted via Mobile Device