The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Best place to buy a TWH?? (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/best-place-buy-twh-139312/)

walkerfan 10-01-2012 04:48 PM

Best place to buy a TWH??

I lost my beloved TWH last year - and am finally getting back in the saddle (literally and figuratively). I want to buy a TW gelding, 15-16 hands. I live in Maryland - and there are very few TWH breeders / stables here. I have been scouring the internet looking at horses, checking out reputable stables, e-mailing folks, - looking for negative reviews, etc. Prices vary widely and do not always seem to be related to quality. I suspect that I will have to travel 100's of miles to find a great horse (? Tennessee, ? Kentucky? Virginia? I have already decided to make a "mini-vacation" of it. Advice much appreciated.

DancingArabian 10-01-2012 05:24 PM

I'm on mobile so I can't PM easily. Send me your email via PM and I will send you some ads I got via email for Walkers in the area.
Posted via Mobile Device

Macslady 10-01-2012 07:51 PM

A lot depends on how much you would like to spend and what level of training you require.

Mason72 10-01-2012 10:37 PM

well im from Tn live in Ky. Always found Ky to be the best place to find a horse, guess its just because of concentration. Craigslist has some diamonds in the rough but get prepared to look at alot of them unless you just luck up.

Figure out if you want to just Trail Ride? Show? Combo?

walkinthewalk 10-02-2012 07:50 AM

First I am so very sorry for your loss. It took me a year to be able to think about another horse after I lost my Arab/Saddlebred that had been with me for 29 years. I wish you the best in finding your next heart horse:-)

You just missed the gaited auction up in Kentucky. I want to say it was in Lexington but, I'm not sure.

An acquaintance that has a boarding stable and gives lessons, came home with a registered Spotted TWH and a registered Chocolate KMSHA. Both had their papers and both were under $500; actually I think the TWH was only $200:shock:

She is not an aggressive rider and feels the KMSHA can start being a lesson horse as soon as she settles into her new environment.

The TWH needs a little polish and training but is gentle and very willing and eager to learn.

She posted pictures on my local forum. Both horses were great condition.

I can check with her to see if that auction has a web site, if you're interested and want to wait for the next sale.

Point-being, if you're horse savvy and willing to go on instinct, like this lady did, there are gaited auctions that are ethical.

Dead Rabbit 10-06-2012 12:24 PM

i concur. theres alot of good looking walkers in KY.

Dead Rabbit 10-06-2012 12:26 PM

here in VA

beautiful tennessee walking gelding

Malda 10-06-2012 11:26 PM

I wish I could find something that well gaited for that price in California. I started looking last week, it still seems like anything that is decent is still 5k. And most of them pace.

Hope you have better luck than I do. :)

Cowboy Ringo 10-11-2012 02:55 AM

I live in KY and trust me when i say KY is the best state for finding good TWH's.
Another plus, is that on most occasions there cheaper here as well.
The eastern part of the state is loaded with registered TWH's, i won 8 of them myself.
There is usually a horse sale on a friday or saturday in every county, or atleast 4 or 5 sales, in under an hour drive time from where i live in the far southern portion of the state.

In todays horrible horse market, $500 would by you an outstanding TWH here....

walkinthewalk 10-11-2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowboy Ringo (Post 1714807)
I live in KY and trust me when i say KY is the best state for finding good TWH's.
Another plus, is that on most occasions there cheaper here as well.
The eastern part of the state is loaded with registered TWH's, i won 8 of them myself.
There is usually a horse sale on a friday or saturday in every county, or atleast 4 or 5 sales, in under an hour drive time from where i live in the far southern portion of the state.

In todays horrible horse market, $500 would by you an outstanding TWH here....

That is no lie and it will get you the papers to the horse, too:shock:

A person just has to be Auction Savvy so they don't get taken to the cleaners on an un-ruly or un-healthy horse:-)