The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Grey Horse Problem (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/grey-horse-problem-139378/)

HorseLoverHache 10-02-2012 12:41 PM

Grey Horse Problem

I have a grey horse and he get's sooo dirty! (speacially when it's muddy) He get's these brown stains on his coat and I just can't get them out! Help?!

Tianimalz 10-02-2012 12:46 PM

Have you tried soap and water with a REALLY good session with a rubber curry? Hose em down, pour on the soap of your choice and circular motions with the rubber curry brush to really bring up the dirt, then hose again and squeegee the "dirty water" off of em. Seems to get my girl clean.

HorseLoverHache 10-02-2012 12:48 PM

Yes but the weathers not always nice and I can't do that everytime I want to ride

Tianimalz 10-02-2012 01:06 PM

Well, you could always try the spray on stuff if you are that desperate. But if it's only for riding around, as long as you get the dirt out then you're fine, the rest are just cosmetics :p

alexis rose 10-02-2012 01:20 PM

Welcome to my world. :-) I usually just brush Phar Lap really good before I ride and then brush him again when I am done when it is colder out. Other than that I just let him roll and have fun in the dirt.

corgi 10-02-2012 01:27 PM

I have decided that Isabella's legs will probably never be completely clean! I can get the rest of her looking good, but her legs will always be a dirty gray. Since I don't show her, I just ride for pleasure, it is not a big deal.

InsaneDino 10-02-2012 04:44 PM

I agree with Tianimalz. If the weather isn't good enough to bathe, just use a rubber curry and put some elbow grease into it. The stains might not come out the fist time, but after a few days of that, the stains will be close to gone if not completely.

This is the curry I use: http://di1-4.shoppingshadow.com/imag...Curry+Comb.jpg

If that doesn't work, and the stain(s) is really bothering you, then just spot clean. Take a wet cloth and sock it in some water (or soap if it's a bad stain) and rub in circles into the area. Dry with a dry tail if it's too cold or windy.

Good luck! Don't the light coloured horses always seem to find the dirtiest spots to roll and lay in? (;

MangoRoX87 10-02-2012 04:46 PM

You don't need to get out ALL the dirt EVERY time you ride. Believe me, I owned 3 greys, it's not gonna happen!!!:P
Posted via Mobile Device

karliejaye 10-02-2012 07:35 PM

Oh gotta love "greys!"
In the winter I used to occasionally get a bucket of boiling water, and dip a towel in it, wring the towel out, and "steam" out the bad spots. My grey also got staining particularly bad around his knees and hocks, and I found that rubbing charcoal into the stains, then brushing the charcoal out got the stains about 85% of the way out.
In the summer time I found that bluing shampoo worked the best (like what's in hi ho silver, but cheaper cause it's made for little old ladies to whiten their hair). Just don't leave pure bluing in too long, or you will get purplish patches!

Ashsunnyeventer 10-02-2012 08:46 PM

I use the Cowboy Magic Green Spot Remover

Cowboy Magic Green Spot Remover - Shampoos & Cleansers from SmartPak Equine

OR I use The Show Sheen Stain Remover and Whitener This stuff works great. Just spray stuff on and get a warm towel. Rub in and all the mud gets on the towel and off your horse.

Showsheen Stain Remover and Whitener - 20 oz | PSCFarm.com

While this stuff works great, I can't get my horse truely clean in th ewinter. baths are a no go and he is always rolling. In the summer he gets garss stains on his knees and little yellow spots from rolling on the Buttercups. This stuff helps, but a grey horse is VERY VERY VERY difficult to get clean and stay clean.