The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   I can't find a farrier! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/i-cant-find-farrier-139387/)

alexis rose 10-02-2012 02:09 PM

I can't find a farrier!

I can not find a farrier that will show up! We moved to Georgia from Iowa and I don't know that many people here. I go the name and number of a farrier from a lady at work but he never showed up and won't return my calls. I have looked online and asked EVERYBODY and can't find a certified farrier. So for now, as desperate as I am, I have a guy that is not certified coming to do their feet. He is a good guy. But I need to find an actual farrier. Please help!

bmm45bm 10-02-2012 02:15 PM

farrier

What part of GA?

Speed Racer 10-02-2012 02:17 PM

My farrier isn't certified, and I wouldn't give him up. He apprenticed with a well known farrier in this area, and darned if he hasn't surpassed the master in talent.

We do have a certified farrier around here that I wouldn't let near my horses. He's totally awful, and butchers horses' feet.

'Certified' doesn't always translate to 'good'. If the uncertified farrier does a great job, I wouldn't throw him over just to find a certified one.

TristaJean 10-02-2012 02:19 PM

check local feed stores, ask the people working there. Any local tack shops? I've found most of my farriers this way, and I couldn't be happier with the one I have now. Word of mouth is sometimes the best way to find good vets/farriers/trainers.

alexis rose 10-02-2012 02:23 PM

I am in Southern Georgia about an hour away from Valdosta.

This guy wasn't even trained by a farrier. He has just been around horses a lot. My horses need a real good trim really bad. Their feet are getting awful and I have to do something. :cry:

alexis rose 10-02-2012 02:25 PM

I haven't tried the feed stores! Doh! And I am in there almost every week. I have tried the vet and he didn't know of any. I was shocked! Thank you for the help! I don't think there are very many around here I live in a very small town but there are horses EVERYWHERE. So there has to be a good farrier that will show up somewhere around here.......

bmm45bm 10-02-2012 02:29 PM

don't know of anyone in that area, but I can ask my farrier if he knows of anyone down that way, I am in the West Ga area

kitten_Val 10-02-2012 02:32 PM

Very much agree with SR. Certified != good necessarily.

Just go to some local barns and ask who they use. I'm sure they'll give you recommendations! Good luck - finding a good farrier can be tough!

kait18 10-02-2012 03:38 PM

try some of these sites. i am not in your area so have no references.
but worth a try

Directory of Farriers and Horseshoers in Georgia

Georgia Professional Farrier's

Farriers in Georgia indexed by City + County - A to F - Blacksmiths

there were a few more sites on google if you search "georgia farriers"

if you also go online and find a georgia specific horse forum you might get some luck there. i know on my nj horse forum we have a services section and farriers post there or many members know of farriers and are willing to give out a number/name.

good luck in the quest :)

DrumRunner 10-02-2012 04:42 PM

Definitely check tack shops, feed stores, your local shopper's guide..I'm from middle Georgia..I can probably find out a few down your way but I could recommend a really nice guy if you were closer.