The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How to Calm Down a Speedy Horse?

5K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  jaydee 
#1 ·
I usually ride a lot of faster, more energetic horses. I can control them fine (most of the time haha, I have my fair share of incidents every now and then) but controlling them is one thing, actually calming them down is another. For example, there are some horses who see a jump and absolutely lose their mind. While I am able to keep a decent pace, hold them back, and get a smooth jump they still want to go, go, go. Is there a way to get the horse to relax and willingly calm down without having it be a constant battle?

#4 ·
Bore them to death. I have had two OTTBs (straight from the trainer's yard to mine) and this is what I did with them. I walked them until they were so bored with walking, they were virtually asleep (usually 2 - 3 weeks of nothing but walking). Then I repeated with trotting. Any time there was any "fizz" I just did enough controlling to keep them at the pace I had asked for, and then let them be as excited as they wanted. They soon learnt that getting excited was a waste of time, and that is when I could start actually schooling and keeping them interested lol.

#5 ·
Consistence and lots of circles, transitions, and serpentines worked for me. :)

#7 ·
Just throwing this out there but now often is this horse worked?

Sometimes my horse has a hard time settling down. He really tries to be good but gets super enthusiastic in his responses to my cues - he gets HOT HOT HOT. When he's like that its because he hasn't been worked enough to his standards (2 days off is too much) and he NEEDS to run. After a warmup I take him to a hay field and let him run his fool head off for a while. After 20-30 minutes of hard cantering and jumping of invisible to me objects, he's ready to get down to work.
Posted via Mobile Device

#8 ·
Just throwing this out there but now often is this horse worked?

Sometimes my horse has a hard time settling down. He really tries to be good but gets super enthusiastic in his responses to my cues - he gets HOT HOT HOT. When he's like that its because he hasn't been worked enough to his standards (2 days off is too much) and he NEEDS to run. After a warmup I take him to a hay field and let him run his fool head off for a while. After 20-30 minutes of hard cantering and jumping of invisible to me objects, he's ready to get down to work.
Posted via Mobile Device
I ride a lot of horses who are speedy, so it's more of just a general question. The particular horse I'm working with at the moment gets ridden a lot (5 or 6 days a week) and goes outside very often but she still has a ton of energy. She's perfectly fine on the flat but kind of loses her head when jumping and can't seem to get out of the 'go, go, go' mindset once she's gone over a jump. Like I said, I can control her but I'd like to get her to a point where she's willingly calm after going over a fence. :)

#9 ·
Are you jumping just one fence or a course of fences?
We've had lots of horses like this but they settle down when they are given more to think about than a single jump with a gallop space beyond it.
Grid work helps a lot - starting with just walking over a line of poles on the floor and then when they can deal with that go to trot and then raise the poles to a low jump level always asking for a turn at the end rather than a straight run
We also lay out poles all over the arena and walk over them changing direction all the time sometimes just turning right around and back over the same pole. Do the same at trot once they feel they are calm about it at the walk.
You will never change a horse that is keen to jump (thats how you want them) but they can learn to be in control about it

#11 ·
I jump a variety of kinds of jumps, from single jumps to courses to bounces to grid work. I don't think it's an issue with having not enough to think about. Also like I said I do know how to be in control about it, but while I definitely do not want to change the fact that she's keen to jump I'd like to get to a point where she doesn't lose her head and I don't have to continuously recollect and hold her back every time she goes over a fence. :)

#13 ·
prin almost gallops a SJ course and if i try to slow her down rails get knocked. My job is to point her the right way and she'll fly over whatever is in front of her. I've tried slowing her down doesn't work very well.

Long grids 9/10 obstacles will make them think.

I have also resorted to halting after jumps not just cantering on.

#14 ·
prin almost gallops a SJ course and if i try to slow her down rails get knocked. My job is to point her the right way and she'll fly over whatever is in front of her. I've tried slowing her down doesn't work very well.

Long grids 9/10 obstacles will make them think.

I have also resorted to halting after jumps not just cantering on.
THIS VIDEO IS NOT FOR CRITIQUE
I'm not saying this is the way to go (though most of my ponies jumped like this as I remember)
Just watch the speed this pony jumps at!!!

This is from the Mini Majors competition they have at Olympia (UK)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.