The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   Horse Health (/horse-health/)
-   -   Horse Injuries *Graphic Photos* (

Poco1220 10-03-2012 12:54 AM

Horse Injuries *Graphic Photos*
I know we get a lot of newer horse owners here who aren't sure what kind of wound is serious and what kind can be handled at home. I thought we could all kind of post some of our horse injuries (whether horrible or not serious at all), how they looked originally, how they looked healed up, and what treatment (whether you needed a vet or not).

Spotted 10-03-2012 01:02 AM

are you sure ??

Spotted 10-03-2012 01:04 AM

soo how do I add an image?

Poco1220 10-03-2012 01:05 AM

Poco's 2 major injuries:

1. He ran past a round bale spear and sliced his leg. A vet did come out, we needed some antibiotics (just in case) and a tetanus done. No stitching was done.

day 1:

Healed up:

2. Poco's other major wound was getting kicked in the face by the mare we owned at the time. Again we did call a vet but he said it was nothing major, keep it cleaned out and gave us some antibiotic ointment.

Healed up:

DriftingShadow 10-03-2012 01:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I just posted pics of this..but i will post two in this thread also. I will do a close up of the day it happened, and the end result so far. I refer to this as "Drifter's big one" (he is accident prone so he always has a small nick or scrape somewhere, but this was ..the BIG one ha ha.

The vet was called out, obviously. I did not yet own Drifter but I had been working with him, and was planning on buying him soon. I was devastated because I thought we were going to have to put him down. Vet came out, scalped the 6 inches of muscle hanging from the wound right then and there with no sedation (he said he was too hyped up for drugs to really take effect), and cleaned wound out. Packed it with antibiotics and gave us a bottle of Underwoods. He instructed us to keep the underwoods on it, and to hose off and out the wound every 2 days. We would then repack with the antibiotics and cover once again with Underwoods. He came out once a week to see how he was doing. We were all worried about infection but he held up great, and had no complications. Now he has a fairly visible dent in that muscle from the missing piece the vet cut off, and a contracted stride because of scar tissue that has begun to build underneath the skin. We are exploring methods to go about treating that particular issue. All in all, it was a lucky situation. Though I didn't own him at the time, I footed the bill.

Really another lucky thing about it...I have a horse who will probably never get stolen. He has way too many identifying marks. He has a crooked half blaze that goes halfway up his face and leans more to the right side, a brand on his left hip, THAT giant scar on his right hip and a scar on his rear left coronary band from another injury. We're good.

Tracer 10-03-2012 04:36 AM

I don't have a photo of the injury when it occurred or when it was being treated, or own the horse, but I do know the story and have an 'after' photo.

This all happened around 7 years ago now, maybe a bit more. One of my father's old friends bred the occasional standardbred. One such breeding resulted in Storm, a little filly who I got to see at just an hour old. I made my father take me to visit at least once a week.

When Storm was around 2 years old, she escaped from the paddock. The owner was attempting to herd her back up the driveway as she was headed towards one of the towns' busier roads. As young animals often do, she thought of it as a game, and was leaping around enjoying herself, until she game too close to a trailerload of star picket posts. One of the posts stabbed into her stomach, shearing back skin and a layer of muscle. Basically, think of a box with one of the sides sealed. That one side was keeping the skin attached.

The vet came out, of course, and sewed up the top and bottom of the wound, leaving the right side of the wound mostly unattached in order to allow the wound to be flushed. For some reason that I can't remember now, they had your everyday drinking straw protruding from the wound - I think it may have been for air flow without flies. This happened in summer, and Australian summers typically mean a heckload of flies.

My father had a falling out with the man a few years ago, but last year I stumbled upon little Storm again, in a paddock just outside of town. She's still such a sweetheart.

This isn't the best photo and yes, Storm was ridiculously skinny at the time. I haven't seen her since to know if that has changed. But, the good news is, she did heal.

mammakatja 10-03-2012 08:12 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I've been updating this on a separate thread too but I thought it had a place here. My barrel mare stepped into a loose strand of barb wire and spooked back when she realized what she had done, promptly shredding the back of her hoof just above the heel bulbs. We didn't want to stitch it due to it's location and I decided against a cast because I've had a few aquaintances complain how they would loosen and start turning. It's just such a nasty location and always in motion. So I started treating with Underwood. I placed her on a wedge for about 2 weeks to keep the gap from opening so severely every time she stepped. After about 4 weeks, the Underwood had done an amazing job filling in the cut and there was never any sign of infection. It is amazing stuff for healing from the inside out. But the proud flesh took over which is typical for injuries under the knee. I started painting Equaide on it and it completely knocked back the proud flesh and help seal the cut the rest of the way. It's now been 9 weeks and she's been turned back out in the field for the first time this week. She's trotting and loping. Haven't ridden her yet, but thanks to the Underwood and Equaide, I think we dodged a huge bullet.

This was what it looked like on day 2 when she stepped forward.
Attachment 114051

This is 4 weeks later. The gap has almost completely filled in and the cut is healthy and clean, but the proud flesh is getting out of hand.
Attachment 114052

Attachment 114053

This is at almost 6 weeks and I've been treating with Equaide to get the proud flesh under control for about 1 1/2 weeks here.
Attachment 114054

This is today at almost 9 weeks. I still swap back and forth between Underwood and Equaide and occasionally I moisten it now with some Neosporin. She's showing no sign of lameness but it'll still be a bit before I ride her again.
Attachment 114055

Foxhunter 10-04-2012 01:37 AM

I have posted these before but here goes.
I will only do the two pictures - when he did it and as it is now.

I have been astounded by the rate of healing thanks to RESOLVE WOUND
The vet originally thought it would be best part healed by Christmas, when he saw it for the first time since August, he was astounded at the rate it has healed and went off with some of the Resolve Wound to treat another horse.

August 8th 2012 - yearling caught his side on a gate latch

September 25th.

Cintillate 10-04-2012 05:10 AM

This horse ran into barbwire. There was a flood few months back before he got injured and lots of debris still laying around. He got loose and got tangled in barbwire. He was in someone else's care at the time and i wasn't informed so to my horror when i did get to see him I found his leg like first picture. Now in new place. No stitches. Made my own dakin's solution wet dressing changed everyday. No infection and healed well. But affected his hooves because he couldn't bare weight for long time. His hooves doing better now.

I think it happened in end of Feb


Yesterday. You can barely see the scar but leg still slightly thick in that area probably scar tissue but he has not problem moving around.

6W Ranch 10-06-2012 03:27 PM

This filly was treated the first two days with ichthammol heavily packed/wrapped into the wound. Ichthammol is great for a strong draw, and will really help pull out infection, but it encourages proud flesh, so the filly was only treated with it for a couple days. After two days, The filly was treated with Resolve Wound. She was also treated with a single round of broad-spectrum antibiotics (tucoprim). She was sound within a couple of days, and has since healed without a trace of injury.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome