The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Brush up training? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/brush-up-training-139449/)

darahbren2010 10-03-2012 05:05 AM

Brush up training?

Ok so I am purchasing a 5 year old APHA Paint. When me and the seller spoke she said he is green. She said he was broke up in Big Hole (in MT) and he was used during the first haying season this year. My mom asked what he would do if she tried to jump on him right now and she said she wouldn't recommend that. The seller also stated he has extensive ground work. When I met him the first time she did take him out on a lead and he walked around fine for her. Backing he did pretty well too. When I walked with him he wasn't pushy or rude, and he also payed attention to my 2 year old. He seems like he has a super sweet disposition. The seller also said she raised him since he was foaled in 2007. She also had his mom. Any suggestions on any sort of brush up training? I was thinking as soon as I got him up to me (because he is about an hour away from where I live) I would immediately do a join up. Also I would like to start training him to neck rein as well. Any good suggestions or useful tips are greatly appreciated!

ThePaintGirl 10-03-2012 12:17 PM

Hi!
1st, PICTURES! :)

2nd, what i would do when I got this horse is, like you said, join up. I love it. Then I would go through all the ground work to see what all he knows or remembers. Fix any holes if there are any. Then I would see how he would react to a saddle. Then I would practice getting up, getting down over and over to see how he reacted to that. Then start walking around a small pen., build up to trotting, then loping.

I was lied to when I bought a 'green broke' horse so because of that I would start from the very beginning and go up from there just incase.

Hope that helps, as for the neck reining, I have no tips. sorry

ThePaintGirl

darahbren2010 10-03-2012 12:39 PM

He is listed under my horses. I don't know how to upload pictures from my phone
Posted via Mobile Device

ThePaintGirl 10-03-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darahbren2010 (Post 1705555)
He is listed under my horses. I don't know how to upload pictures from my phone
Posted via Mobile Device

He has beautiful coloring! I love APHA horses (I own two :D)

darahbren2010 10-03-2012 12:44 PM

My favorite part is his blue eyes! I will have to post a picture of his other side. He has like a half white half bay face
Posted via Mobile Device