The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   problem taking bit of bridle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/problem-taking-bit-bridle-139478/)

clio 10-03-2012 02:05 PM

problem taking bit of bridle

Im having a problem undoing the cheek pieces to remove the bit. Is there a knack to it that someone could share with me please, I spent ages the other night and gave up in the end.

SorrelHorse 10-03-2012 02:16 PM

What type of bridle to you have? Does it have leather ties, chicago screws, quick release leathers, hooks...? There are so many differant bridles made so many differant ways we can't tell you with just that little information.

clio 10-03-2012 02:26 PM

It has hooks, iv tried pushing it further to release from hook but i cant,

mls 10-03-2012 02:35 PM

Sounds like it's very dry. Clean it and it should be more 'bendable'.

clio 10-03-2012 02:39 PM

I'll try it again tomorrow, thanks for tip.

DrumRunner 10-03-2012 03:00 PM

Are you having a problem with the clip or the leather?

clio 10-03-2012 03:12 PM

Its an english bridle with hooks, so your suppose to push the leather forward to release from the hook to pull it back! It took me forever to pull the leather from the keeper to start with. Perhaps it is abit dry so will use some oil on it to soften it.

SorrelHorse 10-03-2012 10:33 PM

Oh yes my english bridle has the same hooks. I like watching my friends who are barrel racers try to undo it. :rofl:

I'm a barrel racer at heart, but its so fun to throw tack at people who are unfamiliar with it. :lol:

unclearthur 10-04-2012 03:26 PM

Don't pull it out of the keepers first!

If you're right handed, hold the billet in your left hand with the tab pointing to the right. Push the loop (around the bit ring) towards the hook position with your left thumb, at the same time pinching your right thumb and forefinger between the tab, where it goes over the hook, and the leather beneath. You should find it'll lift off the hook.

To replace, just reverse this ie. thread the tab through the two keepers, position the hole and slot over the hook, press down and slide to the left. Voila!

Hope this helps :)

Cacowgirl 10-04-2012 04:28 PM

I struggle w/this, too, especially since I have athritis in my hands. I use a small screwdriver, & some needlenose pliers to help me. Or-the easiest-I get hubby to help.