The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   Buying a Horse with Arthritis? (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/buying-horse-arthritis-139499/)

Linzie 10-03-2012 06:14 PM

Buying a Horse with Arthritis?

She is a 15 year old Paso Fino. Just started showing signs of arthritis. This would be my first horse that I would be owning. She is well mannered and an awesome horse. I just dont want to get into something I can't handel. Advise is very welcome. They are asking $500.

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 10-03-2012 06:56 PM

Personally I wouldn't pay 500... In this day and age people lie a lot I'm not sure I would trust it without a VERY thorough vet check and the possibility that she may require joint treatment of some kind, alterations of feed, special farrier work, etc... Just because a horse looks like it isn't hurting too bad doesn't mean it isn't in a whole lot of pain.

if you're alright with that and you know for a fact that her training is up to your ability then by all means I'd say give her a nice semi retirement home as a beginner horse. If this sounds like it's too much for you, winter is coming and hay is getting more expensive that's a fact so it's very likely you'll find what your looking for at the same price point and no major issues to boot.

TristaJean 10-03-2012 06:59 PM

I would pass. She'll require extra vet work and, most likely, medication, which means more money.
There are plently of older horses out there without health problems.
Posted via Mobile Device

Linzie 10-04-2012 08:43 AM

Her owner now has had her 12 years and I've seen her a lot and even rode her and now all of a sudden she's been limping. I also have been offered a free horse by someone else but she's 19. I just can't win for loosing.
Posted via Mobile Device

TristaJean 10-04-2012 09:22 AM

Don't immediately write off an older horse, just because of their age. 19 doesn't necessarily make the horse an old beaten down windbag. :lol:
I would be wary though, just because a "free" horse is usually free for a reason and you might end up spending tons of money on vet bills and corrective farrier work.
Posted via Mobile Device

Linzie 10-04-2012 09:23 AM

She's had two babies and possibly pregnant now
Posted via Mobile Device

TristaJean 10-04-2012 09:27 AM

Ah, well, you didn't mention that! :lol:
Yeah....pass on that one too. But keep looking and the right horse will show up. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

Linzie 10-04-2012 09:27 AM

It's just getting frustrating you know?
Posted via Mobile Device

Speed Racer 10-04-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linzie (Post 1706580)
She's had two babies and possibly pregnant now
Posted via Mobile Device

You do NOT want a pregnant mare. You simply don't have the experience and skill sets necessary to deal with a pregnant horse and the resulting foal. That's just a trainwreck waiting to happen.

There are plenty of sane, sound, RIDEABLE horses out there who are going for next to nothing. Don't take on someone elses problems.

You can get a decent horse for free, but as Trista said, there's always a reason they're free. My TB was free, but I spent several thousands of dollars putting retraining on him since he'd just come off the racetrack and didn't know how to do anything except run to the left.

Linzie 10-04-2012 09:31 AM

I wouldnt be doing anything with foal. They would pay all vet bills and take baby in the end.
Posted via Mobile Device