The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   My lovely Saddlebred mare, Sadie *Pic Heavy* (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/my-lovely-saddlebred-mare-sadie-%2Apic-139505/)

AndersonEquestrian 10-03-2012 07:21 PM

My lovely Saddlebred mare, Sadie *Pic Heavy*

10 Attachment(s)
I bought Sadie as a lesson horse on Mother's day 2012. I bought her site-unseen because I just fell in love with her. I bought her approximately 8 mo pregnant to a grey Arabian stallion. I bought her for her disposition and her potential as a broodmare. She was a little on the thin side to me but I knew I could fatten her up and build up her topline muscle.. Which I did. I had her at about 1200lbs
In July I moved into Reno for college and knew I couldn't support so many horses so I decided to sell her. Well, what a mistake. I sold her to a "good friend" of mine who had no real knowledge about horses, but since she would be boarding Sadie with a very knowledgeable horse person I thought she could handle the mare and foal. I guess I thought wrong because she thought 2 flakes a day would support an already recovering thin mare and growing foal who was sucking the life right out of her. I didn't realize what horrible condition she was in since I had moved. My friend who owned her told me about her condition so I repossessed the mare.

This her progress. She has been home with me for about 9 or 10 days. There was 2 days I did not take photos but you can still see a difference.

I do love this mare. She is so sweet and easy going.

1st 3 photos are day of arrival (9/23/12)
Next 2 are on 9/25
Next 1 is on 9/27 She was colicing all day so we had a set back..
Next 2 are on 9/29
Next 2 are on 10/02

Will attach more in a comment so you can see her from today! =]

AndersonEquestrian 10-03-2012 07:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
1. Pic is on 10/02
2. Taken 10/03

Can you see how her dapples have come through?

This is her diet right now..
AM:
1 flake oat hay
1/2 flake alf
1/2 lbs Equine Focus
6lbs Stable Mix Senior
2 scoops wheat mash
1/4 qt wet cob
2 scoops ground flax seed.

PM:
1 Flake oat (if she cleaned up the AM flake)
1/2 flake alf
1/2 lbs Equine Focus
10lbs Stable senior
2 scoops soaked beet pulp
1/4 qt wet cob
2 scoops ground flax.
1 1/2 cups veggie oil

I took her off the "all you can eat" buffet after her colic. I will put her on a heavier diet after I get her teeth floated next week. She wasn't digesting very well and was causing an impaction so I have put her on a wetter diet.

LadyDreamer 10-04-2012 12:39 AM

Oh my, what a pair! Love them both! I am happy you have her back and she is being cared for.
Posted via Mobile Device

AndersonEquestrian 10-04-2012 12:46 AM

Thanks! I am glad to have her home. I am not sure I can resell her though =[ I got a couple of cash offers for her and I just don't think I can do it. I really love this mare.

TheRoundPen 10-04-2012 12:52 AM

She is looking much better! And quickly. I'm having a problem getting weight back on my paint mare. It's great seeing the progress :)

AndersonEquestrian 10-04-2012 12:54 AM

What do you have her on right now? Sorry, I just joined so I can't PM you.

TheRoundPen 10-04-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndersonEquestrian (Post 1706360)
What do you have her on right now? Sorry, I just joined so I can't PM you.

She's currently on senior feed and alfalfa. It's what they told us to do, and since she's older it's harder. She's probably enjoying not having to do any work right now :P

grayshell38 10-04-2012 01:15 PM

That baby is gorgeous! If you need somewhere to ship him (?) send him my way. :-)
Are both of the parents registered? I'd be interested to see who the sire is...

Bobthebuilder 10-04-2012 02:13 PM

She's beautiful- and that has got to be one of the most awesomely coloured babies I have ever seen.

AndersonEquestrian 10-04-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder (Post 1706881)
She's beautiful- and that has got to be one of the most awesomely coloured babies I have ever seen.

Unfortunately he is going to grey.. So he might be neat if he goes a Rosey grey or a steel grey.