The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Hints on getting my horse's winter coat to moult out? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/hints-getting-my-horses-winter-coat-139529/)

Standardbred 10-04-2012 12:26 AM

Hints on getting my horse's winter coat to moult out?

I have a horse I am taking to a show in a week and a half. She has just started moulting and I would love her to have her summer coat by then as it looks so much nicer than her fluffy winter coat! I am brushing her heaps each day, is there anything else I could do? Would bathing her help? Thanks a lot.

cowgirl4753 10-04-2012 12:30 AM

Depending on how quiet she is, the barn I used to work at would shop vac them. Helps pull the hair and dirt out. Also great after a bath since it pulls the water off too! Most of the horses loved it!
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 10-06-2012 12:32 PM

Horses don't molt, they shed, birds with feathers do the molting. You can't shed out a winter coat in a week, it's takes a little time, but you are doing the right thing, BRUSHING!!!! Experiment with different brushes so you know which pull out the hair the best, I am absolutely in love with a shedding tool called the Sleekez, best thing on the market I have tried so far. SleekEZ — 10" SleekEZ Horse Grooming Blade

jaydee 10-06-2012 12:49 PM

We also use a shop vac on our horses - but they are used to clipper noise etc - we also use a rechargeable car vac that you can old in your hand
We used to get our show horses to shed early by rugging them up slightly more than a normal layer in February/March (our winter time UK) but you might have left it a bit late for that now. Just have to be careful not to get them too hot
Bathing will help as will lots of grooming.
Good luck

Standardbred 10-10-2012 03:23 AM

I have bathed my horse and I have also discovered that using a sweat scraper REALLY hard on her body (NOT face or legs) get out handfuls of hair! And it does not stick to the bristles (like on a brush) as a sweat scraper does not have any bristles!!
Thanks for your help, the show is on Saturday, I will let you know how it goes.

Also, Two days ago I was GIVEN another horse! Colby is a sweetheart and just needs a little training (he is a typical green standardbred). So today I went shopping. :-) He is now kitted out in navy gear.:lol: