The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Switching to an English saddle? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/switching-english-saddle-139541/)

Stakie 10-04-2012 05:43 AM

Switching to an English saddle?

So, I am looking for a new saddle to fit my horse. He is an ASB. He has very high withers and does have gaits. I have only found a few saddles I like and some of them happen to be English. I only remember being on an English saddle while I was young and remember not liking it simply because there was no horn to hold onto. Of course that doesn't really bother me anymore. My horse doesn't ride any specific style so I am not sure how the saddle would change anything. (Other then me AND my horse being more comfortable.) Just wanted some input on the saddle style switching.

poppy1356 10-04-2012 10:45 AM

Just don't get a cheaply made saddle, they wont fit right. I ride english, western and have an aussie saddle. I can tell a difference in my girls attitude but only because the english saddle is the only one that fits her great.

Speed Racer 10-04-2012 10:55 AM

English saddles have a different weight distribution than Western, and if you don't know how to properly ride in an English saddle you can hurt your horse even if the saddle fits.

If you want to learn to ride English, great. Don't just assume you can plop an English saddle on your horse and ride him like it's a Western saddle without a horn. The seat positions are entirely different.

nikelodeon79 10-04-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1706681)
English saddles have a different weight distribution than Western, and if you don't know how to properly ride in an English saddle you can hurt your horse even if the saddle fits.

If you want to learn to ride English, great. Don't just assume you can plop an English saddle on your horse and ride him like it's a Western saddle without a horn. The seat positions are entirely different.

I've been riding Western for over 20 years and am taking English lessons. My position is pretty bad. My trainer wants me in a Western saddle until I learn the proper position so I'm not hurting the horse or giving the wrong cues inadvertently. I just bought a new horse and will be buying a Western saddle, even though I plan on training him in Dressage. Once I've gotten the proper position down, I will either sell the Western saddle or keep it for trails, and buy a dressage saddle.

poppy1356 10-04-2012 12:12 PM

You know SR, I never thought of that. I took 8 years of riding lessons that were strictly h/j with a tiny bit of dressage. I will say I cannot keep my butt in a western saddle to save my life but never thought of it the other way around for someone who rides western.

Speed Racer 10-04-2012 12:17 PM

Poppy, I hate Western saddles. I always feel like I'm in the wrong danged position, and am constantly trying to shift into a 'correct' seat. Tires me out! :-P

I can hack out in a Western saddle if I have to but I'm not comfortable, and I don't think for one second I can properly ride Western just because my butt's plopped in a Western saddle! :wink:

DancingArabian 10-04-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1706752)
Poppy, I hate Western saddles. I always feel like I'm in the wrong danged position, and am constantly trying to shift into a 'correct' seat. Tires me out! :-P

I can hack out in a Western saddle if I have to but I'm not comfortable, and I don't think for one second I can properly ride Western just because my butt's plopped in a Western saddle! :wink:

Same. They make me feel rather concerned because I can't feel the horse so I don't know what he's up to down there!
Posted via Mobile Device

poppy1356 10-04-2012 12:23 PM

Haha I can't get my legs underneath me so to speak. It always feels like the saddle is trying to rip my hips in half.

I can run games in one if I hold on lol but just out and about faster than a walk and I look like I've never been on a horse before. Doesn't stop me from trying though. Plus come spring there's a group that will be bringing a trainer out and I plan on having my lessons in both saddles.

So OP you should try a few lessons first, for the sake of the horse, and so you don't fall off hehe.

Speed Racer 10-04-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DancingArabian (Post 1706756)
Same. They make me feel rather concerned because I can't feel the horse so I don't know what he's up to down there!
Posted via Mobile Device

That, too! With all that padding I can't feel what the horse is doing underneath me, and that's worrisome. I'm used to being able to feel them getting ready to be naughty before they actually do something.

I'm sure part of it is just the unfamiliarity with Western riding in general.

jaydee 10-04-2012 12:27 PM

I have the same problem - my newest horse has I'm sure done some western and I liked the idea of Cowboy dressage and she has a real aptitude for it - something to do and it looks more relaxed than conventional dressage which she would never have the paces and elevation for. I have tried a few saddles now and apart from the weight of them I just dont feel comfortable at all with where my seat seems to end up