The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Drainage hole that never heals? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/drainage-hole-never-heals-139558/)

BlueSpark 10-04-2012 10:54 AM

Drainage hole that never heals?

I'll try to make a long story as short as possible. Their is a stallion on the farm that had a hole cut through his side to drain an infection in his chest. He had tens of thousands of dollars worth of the finest vet care.

this is now years later. He looks healthy, is eating well, tons of energy, glossy coat, working as a breeding stallion. the drainge hole still has a tiny hole that has never healed and is still draining a small amount of puss.

is their a forein peice of something in there?

what else could cause this to never heal?

DancingArabian 10-04-2012 12:59 PM

Any number of things. Pus is a sign of infection. There could still be damage that isn't healing or a piece of something stuck in there not allowing it to heal. That's something that should be looked at by a vet.
Posted via Mobile Device

BlueSpark 10-04-2012 01:04 PM

That's what's frustrating, it has been, several times. None can explain why
Posted via Mobile Device

DancingArabian 10-04-2012 01:06 PM

Did they do X-rays to see if something is stuck? Blood test? That's all I can think of. Poor horse :(
Posted via Mobile Device

BlueSpark 10-04-2012 01:19 PM

Blood test, the vets had their hands right in his chest cavity. Really weird. He isn't in much pain( if any) acts like I would expect a springy thoroughbred to act. Eats like secretariat lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

BlueSpark 10-04-2012 01:21 PM

Just to clarify, he is a recent addition to the farm, I'm telling what I know of his history. Former owner was under the impression that the hole would never heal
Posted via Mobile Device