The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Need opinion on hoof condition ASAP (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/need-opinion-hoof-condition-asap-139561/)

2SCHorses 10-04-2012 12:40 PM

Need opinion on hoof condition ASAP

3 Attachment(s)
Been taking good care of my mare and keeping her hooves clean, dry and soaked. Noticed she was galloping around the pasture last night, which is the first time since the WLD. She was really on a tear and seemed to feel good. This morning, however, I noticed THIS in her back feet, which looks to me like bruising!! I am thinking I need to call the farrier ASAP and get the back shoes off because it looks like she definitely has a bruise might abscess! Let me know if you think I am panicking, but I feel like I need to get these off and soak her hooves in epsom salts. Need feedback quickly because it's always hard to get my farrier out. Attached pictures. Hope they load!

Speed Racer 10-04-2012 01:02 PM

Definitely looks like bruising, but bruises don't always mean abscesses.

My TB has 3 white hooves. One or more of them always has a bruise like that, and he has yet to abscess. I'll bet she has the same bruises on her black feet, but you just can't see them.

2SCHorses 10-04-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1706738)
Definitely looks like bruising, but bruises don't always mean abscesses.

My TB has 3 white hooves. One or more of them always has a bruise like that, and he has yet to abscess. I'll bet she has the same bruises on her black feet, but you just can't see them.

She has never had this before as this is her first time with shoes on the back feet. I am worried because she does have some WLD, so I am really worried that this will exacerbate the problem. I am wondering if I should just have him take the shoes off? In a matter of 4 weeks she went from healthy hooves to all these issues. She is an endurance mount so I want to keep her sound for long distance, and I am just worried that these issues could be 'career ending' for her (at least, in endurance, she would be a fine pleasure horse). But she has a great brain for endurance, good stamina and fabulous moderate trot that she can do all day. I have also notice her frogs peeling a bit. Today was the first day of peeling frog, coupled with the bruising. Can't get a hold of the farrier and I am not sure what to do for her.

loosie 10-04-2012 08:37 PM

Don't stress, it's just a bruise. Those sort aren't generally a problem, just an indication. Yes, peripherally loaded horses do often get bruising at the quarters, especially with a flat trim/shoe, because IMO the quarters especially aren't meant to bear that pressure.

Your horse's toes look a little 'run forward' perhaps, but would need better pix for a real critique.

If you're seriously concerned about the longevity of your horse's endurance career, I'd seriously look into barefoot/booted. Garreth Ford & Duncan McLaughlin are 2 successful barefoot endurance riders that come to mind.:wink:

2SCHorses 10-04-2012 08:59 PM

We are taking the shoes off at the end of October and she will be bare all winter, and we are thinking Renegades in the spring, but she has a very, little, oval hoof so it is hard to fit. I can get better hoof pics tomorrow. She's never had back shoes, so I was worried it is a condition from the shoe. Her cracks are better, but I think she is just not used to having shoes on the backs. I will post new pics tomorrow at a better angle. This was afternoon and I had to go with the sun.
Posted via Mobile Device

loosie 10-04-2012 09:40 PM

Don't have any personal experience with renegades, though I've heard they're good. What size your horse's feet - how long are they compared to width(if you discount the stretched toes)? Given the stretched toes, you'll also have a much better chance of a long term good fitting boot if you address that first, otherwise the boots you get for the shape they are now will be loose when the toes are brought back. *Tho Renegades are also able to be adjusted a little in that way.

2SCHorses 10-05-2012 05:28 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Loosie, here are her four hooves, the bottoms (they are wet because she was walking in dewy grass to the hitch), and a picture of her body. She is IR and usually in better shape for endurance, but I haven't ridden her since the WLD, so she's getting a bit pasture puffy. Please let me know if you think the toe is stretched and heel running under. I want to have another really good trim before the end of this month, and I would like to discuss it with my farrier because I am tired of her having hoof problems along with her metabolic issues. I clean them daily 2X and spray with an ACV mix, making sure to let it dribble under the shoe. She is on an IR diet.

Her hoof is about 4.5 long by 4.25 wide on the front. The backs are 4.25 long by 4 wide. I will look at the Renegades, but I am hoping that they will fit.

loosie 10-06-2012 02:22 AM

Hi,

Yes, they do look a bit run forward,esp on front right but not badly. Heels look a bit high, especially on fronts but can't tell from those pics how much.

Boo Walker 10-06-2012 01:01 PM

I'd like to see some toe off too (will help with the break-over). The heels look high as well, a better coronary band-to-ground angle will give the natural "heels first" action.

Saddlebag 10-08-2012 01:57 PM

Loosie, should a horse be trimmed to match the pasturn angle or the heels pulled back to the widest part of the hoof. They don't always coincide.