The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hobbies (http://www.horseforum.com/hobbies/)
-   -   thinking of taking up leatherworking... (http://www.horseforum.com/hobbies/thinking-taking-up-leatherworking-139572/)

Failbhe 10-04-2012 02:26 PM

thinking of taking up leatherworking...

So, I'd like to start doing some leather working, starting small with things like cuff bracelets, wallets, and purses and (maybe) working my way up into saddle repair and - someday - perhaps even making custom saddles.

I don't really know where to start, I was going to order a few books online and see where that takes me.

Any recommendations or advice? Tools that you can't live without, or things that books recommended and you ended up not needing? Where do you get your leather from?

Roperchick 10-04-2012 02:41 PM

look up tandyleatherfactory.com

they have alot of variety some is sort of expensive but its pretty good quality at least imo

Saddlebag 10-04-2012 03:59 PM

Tandy's leather is imported. Bridle weight leather cracks as soon as you add a buckle. Just not worth it. Head for the second hand store, garage sales and grab all the leather belts you can. Just be sure they are leather and not leather lookalikes. I picked up one for 25c that was marked leather but once I got it home realized it was made from shredded leather, glued and pressed. It's a good start for learning. Go in to leatherworkers.net and you will find all sorts of suppliers for all your needs. Join the forum as there's lots of help. Who knows, it might even be me who responds.

Saddlebag 10-04-2012 04:05 PM

Tell me what you wish to start with and I'll tell you what tools you'll need.

Failbhe 10-04-2012 09:12 PM

Thanks, Saddlebag - that site looks amazing, so much information! I signed up under the same username there.

Honestly I don't know where to start. I was thinking of starting small (I have a bad habit of trying something way too difficult for my skill level when I try a new hobby) - any suggestions for a beginner?

I like my clothes/general look a little on the edgy side - I was thinking a nice wide leather cuff would be a good place to start. I'd like to do some tooling and/or carving in it.

DoubleKCustoms 10-05-2012 10:44 PM

Definitely start with Tandy leather. They have all sorts of book to help you get started as well as projects to get you used to working with leather.

Saddlebag 10-06-2012 07:42 PM

Tandy has some craft books 101 Uses for Craftstrip (plastic lacing) cheaper if you screw up. You can do it with leather strips as well when it comes easier. Lacing and Braiding for Fun. Leathercraft Lacing and Saddle Stitching (this shows the various styles of lacing the edge of leather from wallets to saddles. How to Lace. I have all of these including an old Tandy catalog. Tools that I've paid $30 for are listed for $1.35. Must be very old. Call Tandy. If you are outside of Wpg they have an 800 number and will send you a free catalog which includes tools of every description and craft projects. I don't like their leather and have used leather from other things. I made a nice headstall from a men's narrow leather belt from someone with a large circumference. Leather was very nice quality and 25C at a garage sale. A fancy belt with a diamond pattern became the browband. Go thro and look at stuff that interests you then when you hit the garage sales look at how you could repurpose something. Any questions, pm me.