The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What kind of bug is this?

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  texasgal 
#1 ·
I am finding it in my horse blankets and tack room.

I am in Northern Nevada about 20mins from Reno. Not sure what this is.. Not a tick.. I don't think..

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Looks like a tick or a mite to me - might just be one of those harmless paper mites but I'd give the tackroom a good dust, vacuum, and spray, and wash the rugs just to be sure (you could add some insecticide to the first wash then wash again to rinse). Pyrethrin-based insecticide would be best, it's harmless to horses and humans (toxic to fish and invertebrates only).

ETA: The Evil Horse of Doom can't spell "rinse" today...
Posted via Mobile Device

#7 ·
Just had a closer look at the photo - you're right, it's not a tick because ticks are arachnids and this thing has only 6 legs. I'd be betting some kind of louse then. Too big to be the sort that lives in your hair but there are heaps of species and I'm pretty sure they're all parasites.
Posted via Mobile Device

#12 ·
It is not a bedbug, of that I am sure, altho anything in the bug/biting/bloodsucking family creeps me out. Lice will do that just as well as any. Personally, I would be calling my bug service, and have one saved in a baggie for them.

#13 ·
It is not a bedbug, of that I am sure, altho anything in the bug/biting/bloodsucking family creeps me out. Lice will do that just as well as any. Personally, I would be calling my bug service, and have one saved in a baggie for them.
Haha bed bug was just the first thing that popped in my mind because the bf is an airline pilot and that is a fear I have. I do not ever want those things anywhere near me.

#14 ·
For sure you do not. they are disgusting and nearly impossible to get rid of. They get in every seam of furniture, books, pictures.......one of my kids arrived home several years ago-on X-mas eve-and announced he had them. His stuff was banished to the garage in black plastic bags and he could come in, strip, and sleep. It was ugly. As it turns out, altho he lived in a nice apt, illegals rented out another in the building and had MANY in there, which was the source. YUK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.