The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Animals (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/)
-   -   Broody chicken (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/broody-chicken-139596/)

horsecrazygirl 10-04-2012 06:58 PM

Broody chicken
 
i am not sure if there is already a thread about this.
I would ask on another thread but I am not allowed to post.
I have a chicken who is a year old. About a week ago she became broody. I know for a fact she is because she is fluffing up making weird noises every time you go near her.and very protective of her nest. I want her to stop. I don't have a rooster so I know she is definitely not going to have chicks anytime soon.
How can I stop her from being broody?

Chevaux 10-04-2012 07:20 PM

My hens go through those periods too. I have a rooster so if it's early enough in the season, I'll just let them hatch a few eggs out. If it's too late in the year (and thus too difficult for any chicks to survive the cold weather), I just keep taking the eggs away from the hen. Some hens can be quite testy, so I go in after dark and quietly check under her for eggs. They'll quit that behaviour in a few days if there's no eggs available.

horsecrazygirl 10-05-2012 06:08 PM

Going to go try that thank you sooo much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevaux (Post 1707248)
My hens go through those periods too. I have a rooster so if it's early enough in the season, I'll just let them hatch a few eggs out. If it's too late in the year (and thus too difficult for any chicks to survive the cold weather), I just keep taking the eggs away from the hen. Some hens can be quite testy, so I go in after dark and quietly check under her for eggs. They'll quit that behaviour in a few days if there's no eggs available.


Spirit Lifter 10-05-2012 06:47 PM

I've read that you need to confine them in another area away from the nest for a period of time so that they get over it. Maybe google it for some more ideas. I know for sure you need to keep her off the nest. Those weird noises are idle threats, at least for my broody hen. I just pick her up in the morning and put her out with the others to free range. Kinda snaps her out of it. Good luck.

Delfina 10-05-2012 07:12 PM

Even if there are no eggs, some will stubbornly keep right on sitting in the nest. I have a Cochin that will happily sit on absolutely nothing for weeks on end.

I've given up on trying to break her, nothing works. I bring her treats in the coop and make sure she comes out at least 1x per day and otherwise if she wants to sit on her fat butt all day, oh well.

horsecrazygirl 10-05-2012 07:30 PM

i read about the confining thing too and am thinking of trying it but i am looking for other alternatives its kinda my last resort option. i pick her up and turn her out she eats a little but then goes right back to sitting it drives me crazy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpiritLifter (Post 1708417)
I've read that you need to confine them in another area away from the nest for a period of time so that they get over it. Maybe google it for some more ideas. I know for sure you need to keep her off the nest. Those weird noises are idle threats, at least for my broody hen. I just pick her up in the morning and put her out with the others to free range. Kinda snaps her out of it. Good luck.


horsecrazygirl 10-05-2012 07:32 PM

my chicken does that i picked her up yesterday and she was sitting on nothing.she has gotten very light i am now getting a little worried.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Delfina (Post 1708436)
Even if there are no eggs, some will stubbornly keep right on sitting in the nest. I have a Cochin that will happily sit on absolutely nothing for weeks on end.

I've given up on trying to break her, nothing works. I bring her treats in the coop and make sure she comes out at least 1x per day and otherwise if she wants to sit on her fat butt all day, oh well.


Dreamcatcher Arabians 10-05-2012 10:06 PM

Can you shine a light where she's sitting? I had a Sebright go broody and God Almighty that was a pain! She lost have her weight and nothing I did would break her of it. She finally molted all her feathers and is 90% back to normal now. She finally snapped out of it just as I was going to confine her to a wire dog crate out in the yard.

LaYuqwam111 10-06-2012 01:52 AM

in our chicken yard we have a smaller wire cage known as the 'sin bin'. whenever a hen goes broody, she goes in there for a few weeks. it has never failed :) always works. sometimes we have a few hens in there at the same time, it still works

Spirit Lifter 10-06-2012 11:53 AM

My broody one also sits on an empty nest....dumb bird!:lol:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0