The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Hunter - Horse's Hunter Movement?

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  JustDressageIt 
#1 ·
Hi :)
I'm brand new to the showing world, even though I've been riding horses for a while. The only show I've been able to find in my area is a hunter show. It's a pretty well known show, but it's fun too. (it's a hunter show)
I have a 20 year old thoroughbred mare. I bought her a year ago, and we didn't really know much about buying horses. She had been at pasture for 8 months, and we never had contact with her owner (we bought her through the barn manager), so we didn't know much about her. (Yeah, some bad choices, I'll never do that again...)
Anyways, I'm wondering if she'd do OK in a hunter show. Please tell me how I can improve her movement and lower her head and collect her! :) (In the video, please ignore my equitation and how I'm riding - we had a very off day and I had the wrong saddle & everything )
Here's a video: Random Video - Will Delete :) - YouTube

#3 ·
Your mare is very cute, and an appropriate hunter type. She's a pretty fair mover as well, and she seems to have a lovely attitude.

Please tell me how I can improve her movement and lower her head and collect her!
Her head and neck are high because she moves with a hollow/stiff back (pretty common in TBs). If you did some basic dressage flat work with her, got her working from her hind end more, and using her back, her head and neck carriage would improve and her already good movement would get even better. I would call that "connection" rather the collection; I like to reserve the word collection for its narrowest, dressage meaning, but lots of people do use it to mean moving through the back and traveling in a more united organized fashion like I suspect you want her to.

Beware! Trying to influence her head and neck with the bridle will likely make her stiffer and more hollow. Concentrate on the hind end and back, and the head and neck will come along.

You might want to consider getting a trainer to do some under saddle work with her to get her going in the right direction. Doing the kind of flat work that she needs while you're working on your equitation is going to be very difficult.

As for how she'd do in a hunter show, it's really difficult to say without knowing the level of competition at the particular show. Why not just take her for fun and see how you do?

Depending on the show and the judge, you could ask for some feedback from the judge or ask to see the judge's cards for comments. There's a way to do this properly - approach the show organizer first and ask. If the judge agrees to speak with you, be polite, listen and don't get defensive. You can ask a question or two, but be aware of the time. Thank the judge and the show organizer.

BTW, I don't think you should have any regrets about buying her. She appears to be very suitable for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.