The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Pleasure (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/)
-   -   Want to start shows but don't know where to start! (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/want-start-shows-but-dont-know-139612/)

Tatiana Jade 10-04-2012 09:09 PM

Want to start shows but don't know where to start!

I'm pretty much a show/competition virgin, lol. I want to start doing something with my 6 yo QH mare. I thought I would start with western pleasure because it doesn't sound as complicated as some of the other things I was looking at. What does that entail exactly? What kind of horse does well? Thank you! :D

oh vair oh 10-05-2012 12:12 AM

Ahaha. You have picked the most complicated discipline I have yet to come across.

I'll first advise you to find a local western pleasure trainer in your area. WP can be very hard to explain over the internet and there are many nuances to it.

It entails a horse being round & collected through the body, and supple through the mouth with good cadence at a slow speed. You'll want a horse with WP breeding that has a flat-kneed movement and works off its topline.

DancingArabian 10-05-2012 09:09 AM

Most horses can learn to do a passable job at the super low level (like intro). I hope this doesn't come off as me being a jerk but there's more to showing than riding around in a specific type of outfit. For the intro type classes, a lot is forgiven -- and if that's the level you want to say at then great! If you really want to show and be in the ribbons, you need a trainer to teach you and your horse the proper way of going for that discipline. Generally speaking, riding properly in a give discipline isn't something you can just decide to do and run wih on your own. You need eyes on the ground.

A trainer will also help you win the show prep and the show day itself, which at some shows can get very confusing.
Posted via Mobile Device