The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Is it wrong that I have a hanckering for a Aussie style riding saddle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/wrong-i-have-hanckering-aussie-style-139662/)

BlueMonday 10-05-2012 11:53 AM

Is it wrong that I have a hanckering for a Aussie style riding saddle

Anyone here used an Aussie style stock saddle? Don't get me wrong, I like the Eamor roping saddle I ride, I have done up to 9 hrs in one hit the saddle and no sores for me or horse. However I'm conscious of how heavy it is for the horse and also painful on my knees after 3 or 4 hours and have heard people tell me how light and easier on the knees Aussie saddle are, any thoughts? I use my horse for penning and cutting as well as trail riding but no one I know uses an Australian style riding saddle.

Does anyone live in Edmonton area and have one I can try?:wink:

EvilHorseOfDoom 10-05-2012 11:59 AM

There seem to be lots of fans of the Aussie (stock) saddle on here. I love em, but then I'm an Aussie so might be a bit biased ;-)

poppy1356 10-05-2012 01:13 PM

Um your poll doesn't work for me. I'm mostly an english rider, western rare. I bought an aussie had it for two weeks and now it's sold. Bruised the crap out of my calfs when wearing jeans and cowboy boots.

Joe4d 10-05-2012 05:57 PM

what I find interesting is people will ride in or examine a hunk of junk $200 aussie saddle and tell people they all suck. Yet these same people tell western saddle shoppers to avoid the sub $1000 western saddles.
There are good well made comfortable Aussi's and there are not so good. Down under saddlery does carry a line with a strong tree you can rope with. They also have some decent moderate priced trail saddles. Even the cheap ones though can give you a basic feel for how they ride.

bsms 10-05-2012 06:07 PM

This is mine - A DownUnder Master Campdraft:

http://www.horseforum.com/horses/pho...b89c0_full.jpg

http://www.horseforum.com/horses/pho...e3819_full.jpg

I really like them, but I don't think I'd trust mine for roping. I use the horn as a handle to pick the saddle up...

Mine may be lighter than a western saddle, but not much lighter than a western trail saddle...probably around 25-30 lbs with stirrups, etc. My wife & daughter HATE Aussie saddles. I love them. So it really depends on the individual.

Lockwood 10-05-2012 06:12 PM

Bsms is right, the horn is not for actual roping use. It is just there to appeal to western riders and to hang stuff from. I have two Aussie saddles, one with the horn and one without, and love them!

Chevaux 10-05-2012 06:41 PM

I just purchased an Aussie. I am recovering from an non related horse injury right now so have not been able to give it a proper ride but I can say it fits the horse I got it for very well and I find it very comfortable. I got the Aussie because after my shoulder heals from the surgery it will take quite awhile to get good strength and mobility back -- it is a lot lighter to lift than my western saddles and more secure than my english saddles (and, besides, a girl can never have too many saddles:lol:).

nikelodeon79 10-05-2012 06:54 PM

Gosh this takes me back to my very first ebay experience. I had decided I just HAD to have an Aussie saddle for my super wide QH (mostly because when I searched "wide saddle" a bunch of cool looking two toned Aussie saddles came up. That... and I was in love with the Man from Snowy River. :lol: )

Anyway, I placed a bid on said saddle and thought, "Yay, I'm winning!" I checked on that saddle every day ("Yay, I'm winning!") As it ended, I sat there hitting "refresh" every seven seconds. ("Yay, I'm winning!") I hit refresh just as it ended, preparing to change my mantra to "Yay, I won!" when suddenly I realized... I hadn't won.

Someone swooped in at the last second and outbid me.

It happened to me a couple more times before I wised up and learned the key to successful ebay bidding is to "sniper bid" at the last second. I'm half proud/half ashamed to say that I've been successful in "stealing" ebay items away from clueless newbies like I once was plenty of times since then.

I never did buy that Aussie saddle, though.

Joe4d 10-05-2012 07:44 PM

Again with generalizations, but yes the Kimberly and down under line saddle horns arnt suitable for roping, but others are. I can tell you the makers are extremely proud of them thats for sure. Does cutting and penning involve roping ?

Roperchick 10-05-2012 07:46 PM

im totally roping saddle all the way. haha ive had th same saddle for 10+ years and i LOVE it....but my legs are too long and the stirrups dont go longer....sad face

but my mom has an aussie and really likes hers.