The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Pleasure (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/)
-   -   Jeans question from a man (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/jeans-question-man-139665/)

apw1970 10-05-2012 12:31 PM

Jeans question from a man

Hi.

I have ridden English for the past 2 years, but I'm still a beginner. Long story, but my instructor wants me to ride Western for awhile to improve my balance and to get my seat better.

What kind of jeans are best? I always have worn breeches and tall boots.

Does it matter where the seam on the pants is? Pronounced seam on the inside - will it rub badly?

I have a lot of cowboy boots, so that's not an issue.

Speed Racer 10-05-2012 12:45 PM

Why can't you wear your breeches? There's no law that says you can't wear breeches while riding in a Western saddle.

I also don't understand riding in a Western saddle to improve your balance and seat, since English and Western disciplines are miles apart when it comes to those two things.

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 10-05-2012 12:56 PM

i agree with speed racer,

Jeans if worn with western chaps are very stick and will help you hold your seat especially in high performance manuvers. Otherwise plain jeans are fine; Ive even heard of some young ladies even wearing their expensive designer jeans to shovel poop in, LOL! Personally, I prefer the full seat breech because of how comfy and nonconstrictive they are but when I ride western I rarely wear them or chaps for that matter as it isn't that important to me and my balance in pretty good. For that matter I have a hard time recalling very many people who rode western religiously (wouldn't touch an english saddle with a 40' pole) wearing anything but the wranglers and touted "the leather branded label"...

apw1970 10-05-2012 01:36 PM

thanks!

Thanks for the info on the jeans. I might still wear my breeches.

I'm not sure about the whole balance thing western vs. English either, but I'm a novice. I'm taking a wait and see approach to the whole deal.

Cacowgirl 10-05-2012 03:14 PM

I have ridden both disciplines, but started riding w/a Western saddle. After the first few rides in jeans-where I was bruised & abraded,I just don't wear jeans no matter what type of saddle I'm riding in.once I found breeches that is what I prefer, but any smooth seamed pant is better than jeans. If going into the show ring-I wore the polyester "show" pants w/chaps & that worked. Jeans are fine when I'm mucking around, but if I'm getting on a horses' back-no Jeans! Wear what you are comfortable in-I just love my tall boots-they've saved my legs a number of times.

usandpets 10-05-2012 03:28 PM

The only problem I had wearing jeans was with the seam on the butt. That was when I first started riding. So I don't know if it was from me learning to ride or just from the saddle. I bought a seat saver pad and didn't have any more issues.
Posted via Mobile Device

bsms 10-05-2012 03:41 PM

I wear the $15.88 Wranglers from Wal-Mart. The seam is on the leg, and I've never felt it. I have some Levi 501s, but I figure jeans that run $30 are my "Go to church" jeans...

Western saddle for seat:

If someone has confidence issues or a squirrely horse, then a western saddle - a deep one, with a horn to grab when the horse hits the fan - can be a good deal. I think it is easier to relax in a western saddle, and that can do wonders for one's seat.

Personally, I normally use this:

http://www.horseforum.com/horses/pho...b89c0_full.jpg

It rides almost identically to my Bates Caprilli CC, but with more security in case I do something wrong. My western saddle, a Circle Y Mojave, positions my legs very differently than the other saddles. Pretty much everything I do in the Aussie-style saddle carries over to when I use an English one, but I feel a significant difference with my Circle Y. All just IMHO. I'm not a trainer or instructor, just a fat old guy with 3 horses...

apw1970 10-09-2012 11:31 AM

Thanks

Thanks, all, for the info.

I rode western yesterday. I felt very comfortable, and for the first time, I could really feel my legs around the horse, so it was a very positive experience. Very different from English, but a nice solid ride overall! I wore breeches and tall boots.

waresbear 10-09-2012 11:54 AM

If money is an issue, go with what
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 10-09-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1712247)
If money is an issue, go with what
Posted via Mobile Device

Stupid iPod!! Go with the cheap Wally's World wranglers, the seams won't rub your legs raw. If you want a better fit & a nicer lookin' butt, (women do look you know!), go to a proper western wear store & try on wranglers from there, although they are the same brand they are sewn differently & made in a different country, tailored better. If you don't care about dressing the part, stick with the breeches, they work!
Posted via Mobile Device