The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Concrete exterior of barn (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/concrete-exterior-barn-139667/)

DeborahG01 10-05-2012 11:47 AM

Concrete exterior of barn

Hello,

I am new to horses. We recently built a barn and put a concrete pad (it is roughed up) on the exterior of the barn on all sides that the horse will be exiting. Did we mess up my doing this? We live in the midwest so we have rain, snow, ice in the winter? It is ok to leave the pad? I am so worried that the horse will get hurt in the winter.

Thank you,

Deb

wetrain17 10-05-2012 11:56 AM

I wouldnt worry too much, just take your time. I would just make sure to pick out their feet of any snow balls before letting them step on the concrete. If they're walking on built up snow and hit that concrete they can slide very easily. Once the horses know its there, they will be a little cautious walking in and out of the barn.

Drifting 10-05-2012 12:39 PM

I think you can put a texture over the concrete to make it more non-slip? I forgot what it's called, or if it has to be done when the concrete is poured or not.

GrittyCowgirl 10-08-2012 02:06 AM

You may try putting down some rubber stall mats in high traffic areas. You can also get large textured mats used for horse trailers as well.

Delfina 10-08-2012 04:52 AM

We have concrete pads on the exterior of the board where I board.

Keep the concrete swept clean as loose hay will cause an overly excited horse to slip and slide. Shovel/salt a path when there is snow/ice.

That's all we do and we've never had a problem really.

faye 10-08-2012 09:48 AM

99% of all horses in the UK will be stabled on yards with concrete. it is perfectly normal, just keep it clean and salt it when it gets icey.

Saddlebag 10-08-2012 10:52 AM

Salt will ruin concrete. If the concrete was done with a very stiff brush for texture it might be ok. Rather than salt, I use a bag of top soil sold at garden supplies. It helps melt the snow/ice and can only benefit the surrounding ground. A light dusting works surprisingly well. Open the bag and allow the soil to dry out or it will freeze solid.

waresbear 10-08-2012 11:13 AM

Don't put salt on concrete, but the end of winter, it will be eroding. Soil, fertilizer, kitty litter, ashes from a fires, anything but salt!

faye 10-09-2012 04:22 AM

Don't know what sort of crappy concrete you lot use over there but our concrete has been salted in winter for the last 20 years and never suffered for it.

tim62988 10-09-2012 12:22 PM

I wouldn't be suprised if the concrete you have been putting salt on is sealed. that might make the difference.

I would say just get some sand, or most ag dealers will have stuff called "sur foot" it will look like salt but not harmful for the concrete and just provides traction doesn't melt the ice