The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Western Saddle with W on the horn (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/western-saddle-w-horn-139672/)

ClearOfClouds 10-05-2012 01:46 PM

Western Saddle with W on the horn

I have acquired a very nice western saddle with a capital W on the horn. There is also a nice leather piece directly behind the seat with 307 on it. I am trying to identify the maker of this saddle. Thank you for your help.

boots 10-05-2012 02:18 PM

The "W" may be the initial of the original buyers first or last name. Horn caps are frequently customized by people wanting something unique.

The "307" may indicate that the owner was from Wyoming (it's our area code), liked Wyoming, a model number (not likely in that location), or something completely different.

The saddle may or may not be custom made, as the tie strap holder where most maker marks are, can be easily changed or removed completely. You certainly have a mystery.

tinyliny 10-05-2012 02:43 PM

this may or may not help you.

Vintage and Antique Saddlery and Gun Leather Company Histories and Maker Marks - www.vintagegunleather.com California

Equas5 11-27-2012 03:34 AM

saddle

I think the saddle you are referring to is a saddle made by the Western saddle co. Its makers mark on the horn is a large W and a western saddle in the middle. The numbers on the back I believe may be a serial number or a model number. I have a Western brand saddle and my too has a number on the back. Will have to look into that more. Most saddles have their serial number on the latigo holder in the front or under the front skirt..may have a metal piece or a stamp also under the front skirt. Western brand used a stamp on horn. May have been other marks that they used. Can you take a picture of the mark and the saddle?