The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   My horses movement bouncy?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/my-horses-movement-bouncy-139739/)

equinelyn 10-06-2012 11:47 AM

My horses movement bouncy??

I was wondering if anybody could give me any advice on my horses movement. He has an extremely bouncy trot and a BIG strided canter. He is a 4 yr old 15.2 H QH, has reining bloodlines, and was trained by someone who does reining. I think he moves more like an English horse. It may sound silly because there is no real difference between the two. But he doesn't seem to fit the reining build of horse, he's lanky. Does this have to do with his bounce? Could anybody give me any advice on him through this video. Maybe has to do with his angulation? Thanks so much! :-)

waresbear 10-06-2012 11:52 AM

He is travelling hollowed out & on the forehand, so you will feel uncomfortable on him. You are riding way forward as well, you need to get your center of gravity back further. He surely could go english, but he looks like a western horse to me.

Boo Walker 10-06-2012 12:41 PM

I would definitely introduce some collection, half halts, etc to get his butt under him better and eliminate the hollow back. Try using your body to communicate a slower and softer trot as well by sitting back and relaxing- less forward body weight. Good luck!

ParaIndy 10-06-2012 03:41 PM

Yes, I agree. Sit back in the saddle more and relax, don't lean forward and tighten. And Boo Walker's sugestions (sorry if that is spelled wrong) are very good!

equinelyn 10-11-2012 11:05 AM

Thanks everyone. He's come a long way because he was very fast before, bounced even worse! I do have to get in the habit of sitting back, I rode hunter/jumper for the longest time and it's kinda my "cumfy spot"

I'll try all your advice, and post some updated videos. I'm working on lots of circles and getting him to bend into turns and keep his head on the vertical. I guess I was expecting him to bend on a straight away and skipped some steps. We are learning together lol.

MangoRoX87 10-11-2012 04:56 PM

He is still a baby, might not have himself fully figure out yet.

Ashsunnyeventer 10-11-2012 10:35 PM

I agree with everyone else about the leaning forward. As an hunter jumper-turned-eventer, I know about the "comfy spot". I'm re-training a 4 year old TB mare off the track. She also has a very long canter and BIG trot. I wonder if it's just a coincidence or if the babies have to figure themselves out a little bit. My older horse uses minimal energy for everything, so maybe the young ones have to figure this concept out. Try trotting poles to keep his step even and it might even balance him up a bit. Good luck :)

Docs 10-13-2012 07:35 PM

Of course, I agree to lean back and get relaxed. Also for his forehand, big canter to get him balanced do lots of stops and back up, flex his face and rock him onto his hocks so he's not leaning onto his front. For his lope and trot do what CA calls "cruise control" let him lope on a loose rein, just lope and lope and lope- let him go wherever (best to do in a fenced off area) he should start to slow down and his lope should feel a lot smoother. Also, with unbalanced horses a slow lope usually with feel really uncomfortable.. I did this with my barrel mare and she floats at a lope now!(Also good for a trot)

Docs 10-13-2012 07:37 PM

also after a lot of loose lead cantering his headset should lower a bit :)

equinelyn 10-22-2012 07:51 PM

In the first video it was the first time I ever loped him. We have found a bit of a groove. Here is an update about 2 weeks later. :D
I think buy a western headstall for him made things feel a little less english. lol