The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Need leg protection, any advice? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/need-leg-protection-any-advice-139741/)

kelseyxroxy 10-06-2012 11:01 AM

Need leg protection, any advice?

I don't have a nice, sanded arena to ride in (though I really hope to for next summer) so right now I'm riding on a somewhat dirt, somewhat grass area. It's not extremely hard ground, except for when frozen, but it's not as soft as I'd prefer either.

So, I ride western, and I'm looking for some leg protection boots. My budget is kind of limited, so I need the best quality I can for the lowest price.

I don't need jumping boots, or anything specific.. I do kind of all the western training, some reining, some pleasure, some barrel racing and other games. I'd just like a general protection boot that I'd be able to use on all three of my horses.

Friends have recommended this one, and I've always kind of liked it:
Professionals Choice SMB II Sport Medicine Boots - Horse.com

But I've also looked at these:
Professionals Choice SMB 3 Sports Medicine Boot - Horse.com

Would you prefer one over the other? And why?

Also, do you think it'd be important to get bell boots as well or are the SMB boots enough for flatwork training?

One more question, just front boots or would I need to get all four? (Like I said, budget it kind of limited =p)

Thanks (:

equiniphile 10-06-2012 11:22 AM

I don't notice a huge difference between the IIs and IIIs, but I will say that I LOVE my Elites. Either of the two you posted will work fine.

I don't use bell boots unless I have a horse that forges, and then I'll put fronts on. If your horse doesn't overtrack you should be fine without.

BarrelRacingLvr 10-06-2012 11:55 AM

If you want quality that won't break the bank I would look into Pro Equine SMBs. They are built like the PCs but are WAY cheaper and hold up great. And I always use Bell-Boots because you never know when a horse is going to over step and whack themselves.

kelseyxroxy 10-06-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarrelRacingLvr (Post 1708934)
If you want quality that won't break the bank I would look into Pro Equine SMBs. They are built like the PCs but are WAY cheaper and hold up great. And I always use Bell-Boots because you never know when a horse is going to over step and whack themselves.

Do you have a link? :)
Or something like this? Classic Equine Pro Tech Boots Front - Horse.com

BarrelRacingLvr 10-06-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelseyxroxy (Post 1708936)
Do you have a link? :)
Or something like this? Classic Equine Pro Tech Boots Front - Horse.com

http://www.nrsworld.com/prodimages/3977-DEFAULT-l.jpg

cuttinmom 10-18-2012 02:37 PM

RES Equine Products has the biggest bang for your buck! They have bell boots sport boots splint boots that all have replaceable Velcro. www.resboot.com:D