The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   How do you stay warm?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/how-do-you-stay-warm-139744/)

barrelbeginner 10-06-2012 11:46 AM

How do you stay warm??

Definitly, did not think I would have to write this so soon in October. Over were I live it went straight from Summer to winter. One week its in the 70s and now.. its snowing.. There is Colorado for you:). I wen riding last night. despite it being like 34 degrees. I thought that just going for a little bareback ride would be great. I bundled up. ( was wearing 2 jackets. and some of those gloves that are thin and like yarn kinda) and I was warm.) JUST my feet. they were like frozen. I didnt want to jump off my horse.. because of that feeling in your toes after you jump off and you feel like you just got shot in the toe with 500000 bullets at once.

So my question. what do you do to stay warm in the winter? I am going to probably ride my horse later tonight. so what can I do to keep my feet warm!!!

Also, I dont want to ride with a saddle. But can I ride with a banket on him? like a horse blanket.. not a saddle pad. but the actual blanket? not for tonight. but once it snows more?

We are supposed to get 1.5 inches of snow today:))!

themacpack 10-06-2012 11:48 AM

Layers, layers, layers.
As for riding with a blanket on the horse - I wouldn't. Remember, your horse is engaged in physical activity when you are riding him, so he is generating plenty of warmth all on his own.

equiniphile 10-06-2012 11:49 AM

Long underwear, sweatpants, and jeans. On the top I have long underwear, a sweater, and Carhartt when it's really cold. Two pair of gloves, several pair of socks, and neck warmers.

You could ride with a blanket I suppose if you just walk/trot some, but a quarter sheet might be a better idea.

barrelbeginner 10-06-2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equiniphile (Post 1708926)

You could ride with a blanket I suppose if you just walk/trot some, but a quarter sheet might be a better idea.

what is a quarter sheet? thanks:)

equiniphile 10-06-2012 11:53 AM

Rider's International Fleece Exercise Rug | Dover Saddlery

They keep the hindquarters warm.

BarrelRacingLvr 10-06-2012 12:05 PM

I layer up and use THICK socks. I am such a weanie when it comes to cold weather so I look like the kid off of Christmas Story lol!

Usually I wear thick Under Armor, then a long sleeve turtle neck, then a thin jacket, then a hoodie, then a vest, then my Carhartt or Ski Coat. :) I try to wear gloves but sometimes my hands just don't like them. And for my toes staying warm I shove feet warmers at the end so my toes lay on top of them and they stay nice and toasty!

Forgot the bottom half lol! I wear thick Under Armor, then Long Johns over those, then a pair of thinner sweats, THEN pants. And if it is windy and REALLY cold I will throw on a pair of my Ski Pants as they are super thin material so not like giant marshmellows when I get on and hold out the wind.

katbalu 10-06-2012 12:08 PM

Disposable foot warmers! They are awesome. I use them snowboarding and stay so warm...
Posted via Mobile Device

Tianimalz 10-06-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katbalu (Post 1708951)
Disposable foot warmers! They are awesome. I use them snowboarding and stay so warm...
Posted via Mobile Device

I have the worlds coldest toes even in summer, in the winter I feel like they're going to fall off (even with layers of socks) :lol: Back when I was working on a farm on a freezing winter morning, those foot warmers saved my toes from freezing right off a couple of times :-P

BB, If you have a carhart, wear one! I have mine and wouldn't trade it for the world, it keeps me almost too warm. As for the toes (and fingers, if you're like me), try to keep them moving when you can, I flex mine every so often to help keep blood circulation (which is what gets you warm) going.

On the blanket, I'll admit I'm guilty of jumping on my horse blanket and all if I just plan on walking around the yard a little bit for fun, but even trotting I wouldn't recommend it, your extra weight could shift the blanket and potentially make it slip and get the horse tangled up in the lines.

Delfina 10-06-2012 12:28 PM

The snow is melting faster than it's falling..... :wink:

No you can't ride with a turnout blanket on, it's going to be way too slippery and the chances of it slipping and you ending up in a tangled heap under the horse are pretty good.

Insulated Carhartt overalls, a Carhartt coat, wool socks, winter boots and gloves keep me warm. For riding though, I love my insulated tall, winter boots with warm socks and winter breeches with long underwear.

Darrin 10-06-2012 01:01 PM

Gortex boots.

If your feet sweat even a tiny bit that moisture will turn cold. Gortex allows the moisture to escape and so keep your feet dryer which in turn keeps them warmer. I used to always have cold feet during the winter until I discovered that little secret.