The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Desert Norman (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/desert-norman-139788/)

horse happy 10-06-2012 08:14 PM

Desert Norman

Hi! I'm wondering if anyone out there has a Percheron/Arabian cross and if so what your experiences have been? I've done some research and found their specific breed is named Desert Norman for the Desert (Arabian) and Norman (Percheron).

bgoricha 02-06-2013 02:02 PM

Zamara

2 Attachment(s)
I own a 10 year old, 16.1 Desert Norman Mare Zamara (Zoe). The breed is fantastic. We compete primarily in dressage at First Level, but Zoe was also in three USEA Beginner Novice events last year, ridden by my trainer, and placed in all three. It is a marvelous sport horse breed, combining the docile disposition of the Percheron and the athleticisim of the Arab. She is short coupled with a round barrel, big sloping shoulders with a strong rear engine. She has substantial bone so she can carry weight. Beautiful feet. She also has the Arab trait of bonding with her owner which makes her a delight to be around. Highly recommend the breed.

Karoo 02-06-2013 02:26 PM

Magnificent looking horse you have there. I wonder if the cross is consistently good for the relative extremes of the parent breeds.

bgoricha 02-06-2013 03:06 PM

Zamara 2

Zoe originally was a private rescue from an Amish auction so I don't know much about the breeding considerations. I assume they bred her for light cart work. She got injured pulling a mower and the Amish farmer put her into the auction where she was purchased by a woman who rehabbed her. She's lucky she did not end up with a kill buyer. I've owned her about three years. I agree that the cross could have some issues depending on the blend. But the few Desert Norman pics I see posted seem to show well put together stock. As I said in my original post, she's fantastic and a joy to own. I hope this thread may cause other owners of Desert Normans to post pics so we can see the variations.

horse happy 02-06-2013 06:07 PM

What a beautiful mare she is! This is encouraging indeed, as I have a 4-year-old Desert Norman mare. She is all black and looks very much Percheron but she is shorter, perhaps due to the Arab influence? She was a PMU foal out of Canada. I have her export papers from Deloraine, Manitoba. Since Percherons continue to grow into their seventh year I'm not sure how tall she will ultimately be but now she is 15 2. She too has good bone, a strong neck and powerful engine. My farrier thinks she is too thick bodied to be used as an event horse but I have seen full Percherons used in eventing. I will be using her mainly as a trail mount, perhaps competitive trail. I'm looking forward to hearing from more owners of Desert Normans as well!

Saddlebag 02-06-2013 06:14 PM

Sometimes those crosses backfire and don't always produce a good cross. One example was a big bodied horse as per the Percheron with a small arabian head.

AnrewPL 02-06-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgoricha (Post 1881120)
I own a 10 year old, 16.1 Desert Norman Mare Zamara (Zoe). The breed is fantastic. We compete primarily in dressage at First Level, but Zoe was also in three USEA Beginner Novice events last year, ridden by my trainer, and placed in all three. It is a marvelous sport horse breed, combining the docile disposition of the Percheron and the athleticisim of the Arab. She is short coupled with a round barrel, big sloping shoulders with a strong rear engine. She has substantial bone so she can carry weight. Beautiful feet. She also has the Arab trait of bonding with her owner which makes her a delight to be around. Highly recommend the breed.

Cool, How do you get your horse to levitate like that??? (joking of course, nice horse)

BeachinIt 02-06-2013 07:13 PM

Oh. My. Gosh. I know what my next horse will be!
Posted via Mobile Device

dbarabians 02-06-2013 08:07 PM

I am not a fan of heavy or draft type horses but that mare is very nice. Good luck with her. Shalom

Karoo 02-06-2013 10:39 PM

After posting earlier I googled the breed. I reckon there is a difference between a once-off cross and the breed itself that has come down many generations.
Impressive animals.