The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Where do I start? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/where-do-i-start-13979/)

Kiara 08-27-2008 10:03 AM

Where do I start?

Hello everybody.

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I don't see where else it would fit. I have been riding and caring for horses for years, yet have never owned my own horse. In about a year I hope to get my first horse, but I feel like I still need to learn a lot before hand. For one, I was interested in the differences of horse feed. What types are there? What dis/advantages does each have?
Also, if you can think of anything you think I should be aware of/that is different between caring/riding and owning horses, please let me know. I want to make sure I won't go into it without a clue and make my horse suffer that way.

Thank you!

kitten_Val 08-27-2008 10:08 AM

All "other" expenses, which come in place when owning your horse. :) Those include dewormers (every 2 months), shots (rabies, flu, etc.), teeth floating (once a year), farrier (every 8 weeks). Plus unlimited number of fly mask, fly sprays, ointments, bandages, etc. etc. etc. Lol!

As for feeding and all you have to give more details such as breed/age, what you do with the horse, and so on to get reasonable advices.

Kiara 08-27-2008 10:15 AM

Here are some more details about the plan: My sister-in-law owns two horses and we will board our horses in our own little stable. As far as the horse itself goes, since I won't get it for another year, I can't really tell you. Here is what I'm looking for though: 4-9 years old, gelding, breed I don't care as much as about the horses character even though it will probably end up being something along the lines of a Quarter Horse or Tennessee Walker (simply due to availability in the area). I will mainly use my horse for trail rides and in the arena for Western. I don't want to be a competitive rider, I want to keep it my hobby for now. Yet, once I have practiced enough I might want to do some Western Horsemanship (still, just for fun, not pro).

Thank you!

kickshaw 08-27-2008 10:18 AM

http://www.firsthorse.com/report.htm - quite useful!

i bought the book "how to buy your first horse"...while not 100% in covering ALL aspects of horse ownerhsip, it does have about 95% of the information you'd need... :)

Peggysue 08-27-2008 10:37 AM

Diet keep it as forage based as you can and as grain free as you can ...

Know that the farrier is gonna need ot be there every 6 to 8 weeks regardless of weather adn all the other fun things going on in life

Make sure you keep money back for emergency vet visits locate a hay dealer NOW and start building a good relationship with them

hunt for a good farrier NOW!! start looking at hooves and learning what is right and wrong so yuo know

G and K's Mom 08-27-2008 11:02 AM

Start building yourself a library of horse care books. Cherry Hill and Western Horseman have some excellent ones. From buying your first horse to first aid and training.

As money permits, start putting together a first aid and grooming kit. It can be quite the shock to your pocket if you try to go out and buy everything at one time.

Dvine 08-27-2008 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G&K's Mom
Start building yourself a library of horse care books. Cherry Hill and Western Horseman have some excellent ones. From buying your first horse to first aid and training.

As money permits, start putting together a first aid and grooming kit. It can be quite the shock to your pocket if you try to go out and buy everything at one time.

haha I agree 100% (just went threw all that myself buying all my tack at once =| )

I would also like to add to make sure and think about all the time that it's going to require... ex: stall cleaning, feeding, grooming, ect.

I know when I thinking about getting a horse I had to make sure I had enough time to give tot he horse so I could care for her properly.. luckily the stable I'm boarding at cleans stalls everyday and feeds but I'll still be there everyday..