The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   do people steal trailers? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/do-people-steal-trailers-139797/)

horsenaround123 10-06-2012 09:13 PM

do people steal trailers?

Hi y'all! this might seem like a stupid question but i am worried. I will be keeping my trailer at the barn and i trust fellow riders at the stable however, i am worried about other horse people: has anyone had their horse trailer stolen? and how do i prevent it?

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 10-06-2012 10:13 PM

I've heard of people getting their trailers stolen... I've personally had my car stolen, one that I worked on myself and was very attached to (nissan 240sx 1997 kouki) <-- very awesome tuner type car which I wanted to swap the engine for a v-8... :-( I also didn't have theft insurance so I ended up losing a lot of money on that... It was right before I was getting ready to install an ignition kill switch to top that cake off... At a boarding facility I think someone taking someone else's trailer or even trailering off property at odd hours would seem fishy and be brought to someone's attention... I'd be more worried about people trying to break into your tack compartment personally...

waresbear 10-06-2012 10:16 PM

Filthy thieves steal everything!
Posted via Mobile Device

Red Gate Farm 10-06-2012 10:19 PM

Yes people steal trailers. Get a trailer hitch lock.

They will steal whatever is IN the trailer too. Keep the doors locked when not in use or don't keep anything in the trailer when you're not using it.

They will also steal your spare tire off the trailer. Find a way to lock it to the trailer, or remove it when you're not using it.

loveduffy 10-06-2012 10:47 PM

it is amazing what people will steal I have a hitch lock on my gooseneck it will slow them down I hope

Saddlebag 10-06-2012 11:06 PM

Mine wears a padlock. I don't know how to describe where it's attached but it prevents the trailer from hooking onto the ball. The padlock is hardened steel so bolt cutters can't cut it. If it ain't nailed down it will be stolen and even that isn't a guarantee.

Darrin 10-07-2012 10:21 AM

Thieves will steal anything and everything can be stolen. The trick is to make your trailer easy pickings so they'll move to someone elses that is.

MangoRoX87 10-07-2012 10:29 AM

Paint your trailer fun colors. Nobody wants to steal a trailer that is easy to identify!!
Posted via Mobile Device

annabana27 10-07-2012 10:38 AM

Yeap, Mine was stollen from the barn i used to keep my horses. :( horrible day!

AQHSam 10-07-2012 10:49 AM

If you have a REALLY nice trailer equip it with a LoJack. I know someone who used an old iPhone and left it connected with the find my iPhone feature for his camper. From anywhere he can ping the iPhone to verify the location of the phone (and camper).

We use a lock on the hitch for our travel trailer. You can also boot a wheel.

Your creativity is only limited to the value of the trailer.