The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   NO WAY JOSE!!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/no-way-jose-1398/)

D-izzle 04-01-2007 05:25 PM

NO WAY JOSE!!!!

thats what i have to say to my friends horse to get him to stop snipping at people when they walk by his coral.What do we do to make him stttooopppp? :twisted:

Raini 04-01-2007 07:05 PM

When a horse nips bug them. Rub your hands all over their mouths and *bite them* with your hands until they stop. The moment they stop nipping you stop annoying them. Eventually they will like the option of not nipping.

D-izzle 04-01-2007 11:11 PM

oh..ok thanks!

showpony@heart 04-01-2007 11:41 PM

When i first got my horse he used to nip alot! But whenever he did i pinched a little bit of his nostril- which he did not like! Every time he went tgo nip i pinched it and he stopped doing it- occasionly he nips but when he does he looks at me like he knows he shouldn't have done it.

hsharp123 04-02-2007 06:40 AM

My boy is a horror for nipping and BITING hehe
He is 3.5yrs old, was gelded at 14months (was an angel before he was gelded but it was yard rules - no stallions aloud) but has simply never got out of this biting and nipping at your jacket etc since he started soon after being gelded.....?

I have tried the following-

- Biting him back
- Pinching his nose
- Shouting NOOOO! and LEAVE IT (which he knows as i use it wen hes trying to tip his water over or biting flo (my mare)
- Ignoring it.....
- Smaking his shoulder the instant he does it
- Annoying him (he thinks im playing!)

So i would be very interested in some help too!!!!

kristy 04-02-2007 03:56 PM

A smack on the nose and a loud scold normally does the trick for me. But perhaps those having an even harder time could try to squirt of lemon juice or worse, Tabasco sauce, in there mouth immediately after they nip.

pantha1 04-03-2007 08:05 PM

Please get professional help, it won't be long before this horse hurts someone.
nipping becomes biting, have seen a horse, pic up a person and throw them.
There are many things you can try, but it can be dangerous, a professional should be able to nip it in the bud.....scuse the pun :lol:

KANSAS_TWISTER 04-04-2007 02:21 AM

NEVER HIT A HORSE

raini is so right, that's how i've alway solved nipping and bitting, HITTING solves nothing.....my sister in law ponies are all head shy due to her hitting them for any little thing...it's gotten so bad that my kids are not allow around her horses because all they do is bite if some one reaches for them........USE A STERN TONE OF VOICE BUT DO NOT HIT A HORSE,

tumai 04-04-2007 03:01 AM

I agree with you Raini thats a good method! Hitting never solved anything.....its the language of bullys!

Kate 04-05-2007 01:28 PM

I agree with the above statements regarding hitting - at least in the face. You should absolutely never handle a horse's face in any manner than that which is gentle and kind, regardless.

My horse was previously abused and was very head shy, but he used to constantly "nip" me.. he would never actually bite, but would grab my jacket or shirt with his lips. I started paying really close attention to what I was doing while he was nipping, and realized that it only really happened when I was brushing a certain area or tightening the girth. When he would turn around to grab my jacket I would face him sternly and say NO! in a very loud, stern voice. And lightly tap (not full on HIT) his shoulder. When he was behaving while I was performing the tasks that used to bug him, I would reward him with treats and lots of praise. I've been doing this for about a month and he's gotten ALOT better.

What I would try with this horse is a lot of positive attention. Whenever someone is passing the coral and the horse, have them go up to the horse before he has a chance to bite him and pet him all over his face and body. Make sure they always maintain a dominant posture (directly squared up with the horse) and do not allow him to act badly - he may be trying to establish dominance. I'd also call your trainer and ask for advice - as long as they don't try to or recommend cowboying the horse, they're usually a good source of information and help.