The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Natural antidepressants? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/natural-antidepressants-139816/)

Reno Bay 10-07-2012 01:19 AM

Natural antidepressants?

Hi folks,
I recently finished paying off some hefty medical bills because I don't have insurance. I'm wondering if any of you know some natural antidepressants that I may be able to find that are relatively inexpensive. I'm not in a particularly good place as of late and I can't afford to spend money on a doctor/psych/scripts.

Thank you.

Tracer 10-07-2012 02:12 AM

I know that St John's Wort can help, but you have to be very careful with it, as I believe it can react to even the most basic antibiotic, let alone other anti-depressants.

Depending on exactly how bad you are, Vitamin B could help. I have depression and bipolar, and some days my medications just doesn't cut it. Taking one or two Vitamin B stress tablets usually help me cope and pull through.

I wish you luck finding something to help.

Reno Bay 10-07-2012 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracer (Post 1709684)
I know that St John's Wort can help, but you have to be very careful with it, as I believe it can react to even the most basic antibiotic, let alone other anti-depressants.

Depending on exactly how bad you are, Vitamin B could help. I have depression and bipolar, and some days my medications just doesn't cut it. Taking one or two Vitamin B stress tablets usually help me cope and pull through.

I wish you luck finding something to help.

Thank you. I think we may have some St John's Wort somewhere, but we've had that stuff around for years...does it expire? XD I don't take antibiotics generally unless I'm in a situation where I need them (obviously), as I'm also on birth control for ovarian cysts. I did have a Vitamin B (and D) deficiency for some time a couple years back...I believe the doctors were surprised I wasn't on my way out.

I'll look at Vitamin B and what interactions it could have with my pills, if any. I also heard that apricots were a good natural pick-me-up...I love apricots, so either way I win.

Thank you again.

EvilHorseOfDoom 10-07-2012 05:44 AM

Chocolate!! And lots of fresh air and vegetables. I have bipolar disorder and anxiety and I practise cognitive behavioural therapy too. I made a "survival kit" for my depressive episodes that is more a routine than anything - I eat a big piece of very dark chocolate, read some stuff in my "scrapbook" (all genuine, deserved praise I've got from people that I can't pick apart) then Google some funny jokes or Lolcats. I then make myself feel objective, write my feelings down in a very clinical manner to externalise them, identify my specific negative thought/s and create three options to address them. I then choose the best option, do it and cross the negative thought off the list.
Posted via Mobile Device

MN Tigerstripes 10-07-2012 09:40 AM

Vitamin D can help too. Also, fresh air and EXERCISE is very helpful. I deal with depression (not severe) on/off and taking vitamin D and getting exercise is usually the most beneficial thing for me.

EvilHorseOfDoom 10-07-2012 09:52 AM

^^ Yep exercise is brilliant, I find long purposeful walks particularly helpful in keeping physically and mentally well, and clearing away negative emotions.
Posted via Mobile Device

ChipsAhoy 10-07-2012 05:24 PM

Exercise and animals :) I have severe depression, as well as anxiety issues and along with regular medication I either go to the gym, the barn, or if it's so bad I can't leave my house I use an exercise bike I have and hold my rabbits or cuddle with my cat.

Kayty 10-07-2012 08:26 PM

Exercise for sure. If you sit inside all day moping you'll never feel better. Get outside, go for a big walk or a run. Exercise releases endorphins, which are the bodies own 'happy feeling' chemicals.

SaddleStrings 10-07-2012 10:55 PM

Have you looked into aromatherapy oils? I've heard lavender and jasmine work wonders.

dbarabians 10-08-2012 01:20 PM

Please remember that anti depressants are very powerful medication and should not be adjusted unless under the supervision of a Doctor.
Excersise is wonderful and should be a par of every treatment plan so should therapy.
When taking natural supplements you must be very careful.
As a mental helath professional I would caution you not to change your medications expecially if they are working.
Stopping them cold turkey is very dangerous.
Please be careful we all want to continue to see you posting in the future. Shalom