The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   How the heck do I clean this halter.... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/how-heck-do-i-clean-halter-139867/)

QH Lover 10-07-2012 05:44 PM

How the heck do I clean this halter....

My pony's halter is filthy and I'd like to clean it (if thats even possible). I have this halter: Gatsby I LOVE MY PONY Nylon Halter

BornToRun 10-07-2012 05:49 PM

I always just toss my nylon in the washing machine. But you could always scrub it by hand and hose it off.

freia 10-07-2012 05:50 PM

I fill a dish-tub or bucket with hot water and either simple-green or Bioclean Green or All-free, etc - anything I know won't irritate horse's flesh just in case it's not rinsed well enough.
Soak it for hours.
Take it out, scrub it all over with a brush, then repeat until it looks clean. Rinse really well. Hang to dry.
If you toss it in the washing machine, be sure to have a few towels in there with it so the buckles don't bang up your washer, especially if it's a front-loader. In fact, youo may not want to try it in a front-loader. Top-loader should be OK.

Inga 10-07-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BornToRun (Post 1710170)
I always just toss my nylon in the washing machine. But you could always scrub it by hand and hose it off.

Me too. If there is chunks of mud, I brush them off good first but then toss them in the wash with the rags and it comes out pretty fresh looking.

boots 10-07-2012 10:02 PM

What about the top rack in a dishwasher? I throw our team caps and have thrown a couple rope halters in that got stained.

I also still have a hand agitator, the type you can use in a 5 gallon bucket.

Saddlebag 10-08-2012 12:14 AM

I used a 5 gal bucket and a $5 drain plunger and dish soap. I can get more agitation going than the washing machine. I'll toss the halter in and let it soak then plunge a few times. If the water is muddy, it's changed and I'll leave it for a bit. No big rush, right? I usually set the pail in the tub so that every time I go in the bathroom I'll plunge the water a few times. A nail brush helps with the stubborn stuff.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 10-08-2012 12:50 AM

For $9.95, I'll just buy a new one.

mls 10-08-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians (Post 1710642)
For $9.95, I'll just buy a new one.

Why waste a perfectly good halter?!! And add to a landfiill! :shock:

Washing machine - with towels or rugs so as not to damage the washer, bucket and elbow grease or pressure washer.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 10-08-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mls (Post 1710931)
Why waste a perfectly good halter?!! And add to a landfiill! :shock:

Washing machine - with towels or rugs so as not to damage the washer, bucket and elbow grease or pressure washer.

Didn't say throw it out. I keep several, "Good" halters that I don't use daily. The others get hung, with a lead rope, various places around the farm. That way I always have a halter and lead rope handy. But the daily ones are not taken off the farm, I use the 'good' halters for stuff like that.

Plains Drifter 10-08-2012 02:46 PM

If you have a front loader you could try putting the halter in a pillow case with a couple of towels and pin the pillow case closed. The towels "should" cushion the halter's metal pieces to keep them from hitting anything.